Small Brisket advice

Too many "cheap cuts" are now expensive. Once Chicken was the cheap meat.

I did get an 8.5# bone in butt for $2.90# at Whole Foods today.

Looks good, JD!  I once did a 4 lb corned beef point that took 11 hours!  Crazy, but those little suckers shrink up and can take forever!

JD, nice job on the brisket, it looks tender and juicy.  A lot of people are intimidated with trying to smoke brisket, but these SI smokers make it easy and can make a novice look like a pro.

By the way, up here in the great white north, brisket is selling for $8 per pound at Costco (if you can find it)and bone-in pork butt is $3 per pound.

Well if the price of meat keeps going up so fast maybe I'll be smoking hotdogs soon... :(

I was pleased with the $3# for the organic Butt. I said something and the butcher said, "because it's bone in". You mean people really want boneless??? :)

jdiver said:
Well if the price of meat keeps going up so fast maybe I'll be smoking hotdogs soon... :(

Now that is a good one, but the last time I checked, hotdogs cost $5 per package up here. They are not cheap either.  As a side dish, instead of making Mac and Cheese from scratch, we will have to resort to making Kraft Mac and Cheese then smoking it in the smoker.

The last time I went hunting was about 10 years ago.  We have deer if you go about 1 -2 hours outside of the city, but moose are much farther out.

Although, when I head down to Akron, my relatives down there have lots of deer right in there backyard.

Smokster said:
JD, nice job on the brisket, it looks tender and juicy.  A lot of people are intimidated with trying to smoke brisket, but these SI smokers make it easy and can make a novice look like a pro.

By the way, up here in the great white north, brisket is selling for $8 per pound at Costco (if you can find it)and bone-in pork butt is $3 per pound.

I was browsing WalMart's meat isle yesterday, and couldn't believe they had whole packer briskets for $2.98/lb, but the separately-packaged points (not flats) were $6.98/lb!!  I've never seen that much of a difference in price!

We mostly finished up the leftover brisket last night. The little left I chopped up and tossed in with some left over Au Gratin potatoes. An easy lunch heat up.

JD
Nice work.  I agree brisket used to be cheap. I bought a 5 lb flat for over $30 at bj's a couple of weeks ago.

I do like a good brisket though. I been cooking flats, have not seen any packer cuts where i live.

Back