Quick Aged Steaks (sort of) Fish-sauce steak experiment

So which did you prefer? The aged or non aged?

How did it compare to a traditional aged steak?

It looks great, that much I DO know!

RG said:
So which did you prefer? The aged or non aged?

How did it compare to a traditional aged steak?

It looks great, that much I DO know!

Jason,

The non aged steak while tender, did not have much flavor. The aged steak was wow, had a real "beef-y" taste, really good.

Comparing this to a Ruth Chris or Mortons, not as good, but the cut of meat was just choice ($7.50 per steak).

Next test I will age a few prime steaks.

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Greg

Interesting.  I will give this a try though redboat fish sauce is too rich for our blood :)  We use the $1-$3 per bottle fish sauces

paidin said:
Interesting.  I will give this a try though redboat fish sauce is too rich for our blood :)  We use the $1-$3 per bottle fish sauces

Let us know how you make out. Next time I plan to use two prime filets. I am going to cook one after three days and then go another two days for the other and see which I like better. I am on the road next week, so the test will happen most likely the following!

Greg

BedouinBob said:
Wow, it looks like they turned out great.

I am out again next week traveling, but the following week I want to try a twist on this. I will do a three day, with no drying time in the refrigerator and then do another steak for three days and dry for 1 or 2 days.

Greg

Since I am home again for a few weeks I have decided to try the steaks again. I picked up two Ribeyes steaks from the butcher today about 9.5 oz. each. Put 4 t. of fish sauce in a vacuum bag, add the steaks and in the refrigerator they go.

For this test I plan to cook one of the steaks after being in the marinade for 3 days and not allow it to air dry. The other steak, I plan to let air dry, but only for 1 or 2 days.....

I will keep you posted.

Greg

Originally I was going to cook one steak for lunch (been marinating for three days in fish sauce) and then air dry the other steak for 2 days and cook. But the wife decided it was time to have steaks for dinner. So I pulled both steaks from the marinade dry off, put some salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill. The flavor was excellent and from now on I will skip the drying process and just go with three days in the fish sauce.

I will do these again next week but use filet mignon for the steaks.

Greg

Hey Greg, steaks look really good. Did you smoke them or grill them? If smoked what temp. did you use on the SI?

elkins20 said:
Hey Greg, steaks look really good. Did you smoke them or grill them? If smoked what temp. did you use on the SI?

Hey Bill,

No I decided to keep it simple and just throw them on the grill at 500+ degrees.

Greg

That would work, here just finished eating some ribs I smoked today. I really love the lazy-q method. I foiled it, put the wood in, put the water pan in. Then put the meat in around 12:00pm. closed the door. Pulled them at 5:00 sauced them and pull 20 min. later, was really good.

Back