Prime rib roast 1st time

74redone

Hey guys I'm going to smoke a prime rib roast for my families Christmas eve dinner. I have never done one and thought I would get your guys input. I'm going to be doing a12-15 lbs roast. Thanks in advance!

A little known secret is that prime rib roast is the easiest smoke on the planet.  If you have an accurate thermometer, you'll have success.  I like 3 to 4 oz. of wood and 135 for internal temp.  This will give a solid pink from edge to edge.  Rub is very basic, either a Dalmatian rub or salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. 

One ready for the smoker
Prime1_zpse4cee0fd.jpg

Ready for the table
PR4_zps8adc1148.jpg

How long at 200 would a 12 lbs boneless roast take? I'm going to do the after searing trick to but wanted to get an idea of how long to get to 135-140. Thanks!

Last one I did was 10.88 lbs, and took about 5 1/2 hours.  I have a 12 lb roast this year, too, and plan to allow 6.5 hours.  May be done sooner, but I can double-wrap in HD foil and rest in the cooler until sear time!  (Picture is just a teaser of things to come! 8) )

Attachments

• CPR first slice.jpg
    CPR first slice.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 278
  • CPR2014 perfect CU.jpg
    CPR2014 perfect CU.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 297
I'm bustin' out my 32 day aged ribeye roast for this Christmas. It is small (about 4.5 lb) but it will be sufficient for my guests this year. I have done the ribeye in the past and I have to say that DM's approach with the reverse sear is awesome. Merry Christmas you guys! Happy smokin'.  ;D

I wanted to age one this year, Bob, but couldn't find a bone-in early enough.  Maybe next year...  You gonna use the 200, then reverse-sear method?

SuperDave said:
Tony, I get edge to edge pink without going as low as 200.  The one in the picture above was done at 235.

If that works for you Dave, by all means do it.  200 works great for me, and I personally like the results better than the higher temp.  Comes out more tender.

Tony, yes I did. Took my 32 day aged roast, rested it overnight with dalmation rub, garlic, and rosemary then into the #2 with 50/50 mix of oak and mesquite (5 oz total). Smoked at 200 deg until IT was 135 deg. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then into a 500 deg oven for 10 minutes. The result was wonderful. Buttery, tender, juicy, and enjoyed by all!  :) Your reverse sere method works great!

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 410
BedouinBob said:
I'm bustin' out my 32 day aged ribeye roast for this Christmas. It is small (about 4.5 lb) but it will be sufficient for my guests this year. I have done the ribeye in the past and I have to say that DM's approach with the reverse sear is awesome. Merry Christmas you guys! Happy smokin'.  ;D
I just bought a 4.25 boneless ribeye roast.  How would you suggest smoking it.

Susie-Q, if you like it medium-rare to medium, smoke it at 200 until internal temp is 128-135 (depending on how done you like it.  I find prime rib perfect medium-rare).  Let it rest for 30 minutes, while your oven heats as hot as it will go.  Put your roast on a baking rack in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes to brown the outside; this is called a "reverse sear." 

Check out the link to Christmas prime rib, posted in my first post above.  This explains the low/slow/reverse-sear technique for beef.  Works great!!

Thanks, Tony.  This seems too easy!  My boneless prime rib weighs about 4.25 lbs, and I tend to like it rare to medium-rare.  How long should I allow for it to reach 125 internal temperature. . .approximately?

Back