Prime rib project

icebob

I have a boneless prime rib, about 4.5#...here's my plan 8) start it in the smoker @ 150f with 1/1.5oz cherry for about 1.5hrs, sous vide @ 130f for 8 to 10hrs and finish it in piping hot 500f oven for a nice crust.. open a nice bottle of wine, slice the roast up, fill up my fat face until belly hurt and pass out on the couch from food coma :P sounds like a good Saturday to me!

Sounds fun! Rather a complicated technique, although one I have thought about but never done. Should give a great result. Let us all know how it turns out.

DivotMaker said:
I'd skip the sous vide part....nothing better than tender, smoked prime rib out of the smoker!
While I agree, all the people that I know that do sous vide say it is the only way to cook meat.  I think a smoker / sous vide hybrid is worth trying at least once.  Bob, this just means that you will have to do a second prime rib later all SI and give us the comparison. 

SuperDave said:
DivotMaker said:
I'd skip the sous vide part....nothing better than tender, smoked prime rib out of the smoker!
While I agree, all the people that I know that do sous vide say it is the only way to cook meat.  I think a smoker / sous vide hybrid is worth trying at least once.  Bob, this just means that you will have to do a second prime rib later all SI and give us the comparison.

I have no problem cooking several prime rib, but for this one since I have the sous vide toys, finally have a Saturday off, I taught, why not ;) the roast is dry brining uncovered in the fridge tonight....

Go for it, Bob!  In fact, I just ordered an Anova Precision Cooker, so I'll also be working on this hybrid SI/SV thing, as well!

so far so good ;),an hour in the smoker this morning, 8 hrs in the pimped up sous vide, now resting while oven is heating up... will update with a pic of the sliced product!

Attachments

• 2016-01-23 08.27.21.jpg
    2016-01-23 08.27.21.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 369
  • 2016-01-23 08.30.59.jpg
    2016-01-23 08.30.59.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 2016-01-23 17.14.35.jpg
    2016-01-23 17.14.35.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 339
not sure how to add attachments to existing post... anyway here's the final product.....

Attachments

• 2016-01-23 18.39.58.jpg
    2016-01-23 18.39.58.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 2016-01-23 18.49.32.jpg
    2016-01-23 18.49.32.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 357
Looks great, Bob!  I assume it tasted as good as it looks?

Btw - LOVE your setup for the Anova!  That's a great idea!

taste was out of this world, still need some work to top this place tho... http://www.sharpsroasthouse.com/
for longer sous vide, the cooler trick is a must... 2 3/4" hole saw...

I also have the Anova. Have had it for a short time, and have been trying a variety of things. I think it could complement the SI well, and had thought about doing exactly what you did. Low-temp smoke the prime rib first, then vac seal and sous vide, to get a nice even pink all the way through. This technique might also work well for beef tenderloin or pork loin. The SI actually does a great job with these all on it's own, but it would be interesting to compare the different results. I wonder if the smoke flavor might mellow and penetrate more after the vacuum seal and sous vide.

icebob said:
taste was out of this world, still need some work to top this place tho... http://www.sharpsroasthouse.com/
for longer sous vide, the cooler trick is a must... 2 3/4" hole saw...

I'd go head-to-head with them on prime rib.  Not trying to sound overly-bold, but I'd put my prime rib up against anybody, any time! ;) 

Gonna have to try the cooler trick!  Great idea!

DivotMaker said:
I'd go head-to-head with them on prime rib.  Not trying to sound overly-bold, but I'd put my prime rib up against anybody, any time! ;) 

I tried the DM prime rib method at XMAS dinner and I'm a believer! I wonder if we did a blind taste test of the DM method against the DM method with a different chef? Then it's all about the finishing touches. :-)

TmanEater said:
I tried the DM prime rib method at XMAS dinner and I'm a believer! I wonder if we did a blind taste test of the DM method against the DM method with a different chef? Then it's all about the finishing touches. :-)

You get it, T!  The way I do prime rib is certainly not the "end all" of prime rib recipes, but I think I've come up with a taste that is one of the best pieces of prime rib I've ever had, and others have given me the same opinion. 

With that said, you are absolutely right!  The seasoning, and "finishing touches" can make a difference, even though the "technique" is the same.  Flavor profiles are so subjective.  I've found one that certainly works for me, and I bet you have too! 8)

The thing I will try next time is a more generous coarse salt coating for thr dry brine, my thought was I was missing a lil of the deep saltiness taste, tender wise nothing can beat the sousvide for a long period tho....

icebob said:
...tender wise nothing can beat the sousvide for a long period tho....

I'll soon be the judge of that.  A good USDA Choice, or Prime, "prime" rib, smoked slow at 200, is absolutely fork-tender when done.  Any softer, and you'd have to eat it with a spoon. ;)  This is 8-11 lb roasts, bone-in, not the little baby boneless.

to be honest, I prefer boneless as it is more surface for the tasty crust... ;) still need to try but on sous vide forum, they french the roast and cook the rib part at 132f for 72hrs!!! gonna have to try it!

The bone plate, imo, is the key to low and slow in the smoker, Bob.  The ribs shield the tender meat from the heat, so it truly cooks low and slow.  I cut through the rib plate, almost all the way through, so it's like a flap.  Then, I season between the meat and the bones, then tie together for cooking.  After the reverse-sear, the side against the bones is very flavorful, just not seared. 

I've done a enough boneless and flapped bones/retied to have a preference.  I found the tied bone roast to cook less evenly and take substantially longer, thus, the boneless is my prime rib roast of choice. I still achieve the same solid pink center edge to edge that Tony strives for. 

Back