Pre-sales questions re:2D accessories

John Biddle

I'm about to buy the 2D as my first smoker. I have a few noob questions I expect you guys can quickly answer.

1) If I get the Miss TK's kitchen drip pan, would I still need to line the bottom with aluminum foil every time?

2) Can I use the Miss TK's kitchen drip pan for water or other liquids, instead of purchasing a Sasha Flavor Saver?

3) Is a 2D tall enough to hang full slabs of ribs using the hooks? Is that the preferred way to smoke ribs?

4) To use the hooks, do you need the Sausage Hanging Bar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You get a drip pan with the smoker.  Many of us use disposable aluminum loaf pans for liquids and set it next to the wood box. As for hanging ribs I cannot answer if there is sufficient room. I suppose you can halve the ribs and hang.

No need to add any of those items. Rib cook better flat. The pan is for external use. A small drain hole drips into the pan. The flavor saver....you would be better off with disposable loaf pans. The machine is great.Useful options would be the jerky fan (turns it into a dehydrator) or cold smoke plate.

John, to answer your questions #1 You will receive a "Miss TK's drip Pan" with your purchase of the #2. There is a slot underneath the smoker that the pan slides into to catch anything that drips out of the drain hole in the bottom of the smoker box. So yes, you will need to line the bottom of your smoker with aluminum foil. #2 No need to spend $25-#26 bucks on the Sasha flavor saver, in my opinion. The mini aluminum loaf pans as a water pan  are cheap and can be used multiple time before tossing them and using a new one. #3 & #4 The preferred way to cook ribs in these smokers is to lay them flat. The #2 is not deep enough to put a whole slab of ribs in without cutting them in half. (The #3 is). I have a SI#2 and have cooked as many as 6 racks of ribs at one time by cutting the slabs in half and and placing 1 1/2 racks per shelf without any problems. So I would skip the hooks and the sausage bar as well.

If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would spend the extra $100 and get the #3. For no other reason than it is deep enough to smoke ribs without cutting them in half and also will handle whole packer briskets. Nothing wrong with the #2 but I wish I had it to do over.

Grampy said:
If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would spend the extra $100 and get the #3. For no other reason than it is deep enough to smoke ribs without cutting them in half and also will handle whole packer briskets. Nothing wrong with the #2 but I wish I had it to do over.

This is certainly something to consider.  I was torn between the #2 or the #3.  I went with the #3.  No regrets.  Having the extra space is well worth it to me.  Whole packer briskets, whole slabs of ribs, pretty much anything will fit in the #3.

Glock_21 said:
Grampy said:

This is certainly something to consider.  I was torn between the #2 or the #3.  I went with the #3.  No regrets.  Having the extra space is well worth it to me.  Whole packer briskets, whole slabs of ribs, pretty much anything will fit in the #3.
Same here I actually bought the 2D and it was delivered to my house, then I had regrets about not getting the 3D and sent the 2 back since I hadn't opened the box.

Well, there you have the best advice you can get, John!  I can't add much! 8)  I will second the opinion of going #3, if it's in the budget.  You just can't underestimate the depth, and it's sure nice to throw full briskets in there!

Grampy said:

I share Grampy's second thoughts after using my #2 although its far better than anything else Ive used. I dont have any first hand experience using the #3 but where your gonna cook may have some bearing as the #2 is my limit of 'portability'.  If your gonna be moving it a lot the #3 may be less portable?
Really no bad choices though John.  Good smoking!

I can't really comment on the #2, but I travel with my #3 close to a dozen times per year between camping and taking to my folks house to do deer processing. I lift the smoker up into the back of my F-150 by myself with ease. I am very glad I sprang for the #3.

Attachments

• WP_20141015_001.jpg
    WP_20141015_001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 419
  • WP_20141015_003.jpg
    WP_20141015_003.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 386
NDKoze said:
I lift the smoker up into the back of my F-150 by myself with ease. I am very glad I sprang for the #3.
Good to know and that should take care of my two cents worth John.

Ok Gregg, now I am wishing I bought the #3 OR I need to get in better shape ::)

Back