Pork Butt Sunday

Steve NJ said:
We put ours on at 12am Sunday and wrapped it in foil at 4pm IT 198. With the Auber I set it for 175 for an hour then 225 for IT 198 then 140 wrapped for an hour and a half. We coated the butt with yellow mustard and rubbed with our butt rub, wrapped and let sit for 4-5 hours. Used 5-6 oz of apple wood. I also for the first time injected about a juice box of apple juice a couple of hours before hitting the smoker. Our best effort to date! was very good.
Another thumbs up with an injection.  8)

RSNovi said:
I ended up at 20 hours for this butt.  I bumped it up to 245 for the last 1.5 hours and took it out of the smoker at 202 degrees.  Good bark.  A little drier than normal and not quite as smoky as I like.  I went with 4 oz hickory.  I normally do 3 oz hickory and 1 oz Apple.

Next time, try 5-6 oz of wood, and pull it out to rest at 195.  It'll save some time, and should be more smoky.  For super moisture, try brining your butt first.

Thanks I will give that a shot.  More wood and a little less temp.  After I see how that works I'll give the brine a shot.

I haven't done a ton of butts, but probably 10 or so.  This one just seemed a little more dry than the previous ones I have done.  I have never gone 20 hours on one before though either.

Chris, i am a firm believer in pork butt temps at 240. I started at 225 and it just took too long. Since i have gone to the higher temp the finished product has turned out better. If you dont have an auber i would recommend since you can dial in the same temperature for the entire cook. 5-6 oz of wood is idea, i go with between 5.25 and 5.5 oz.

es1025 said:
Chris, i am a firm believer in pork butt temps at 240. I started at 225 and it just took too long. Since i have gone to the higher temp the finished product has turned out better. If you dont have an auber i would recommend since you can dial in the same temperature for the entire cook. 5-6 oz of wood is idea, i go with between 5.25 and 5.5 oz.

Thanks for the tips.  i agree that 225 is a little too time consuming.  I will experiment with you tips.

Chris, I agree with Ed on temp.  I use 235, but 240 is great.  The beauty of a pork butt - unlike some other things - is it is very forgiving!  There's enough internal fat and connective tissue that it can handle the higher heat, and still be plenty moist and tender!

Back