Pork Butt Sunday

es1025

Tomorrow will be embarking on our 1st butt of 2015.
Picked up an 8# butt from BJ'S.
Going to some minor trimming, adding the rub and letting the butt rest until 5AM tomorrow.
Having two types of sauce, one is Bone Suckin and the other is an homemade piedmont sauce.

5.25 oz of apple wood, the #3 is all set for the party.

Temp will be 240 for however long it takes to arrive at 200.

I right with you, Ed!  I have an 8# butt in the brine now, will rub it down later tonight and on the smoker around 5am as well at 240F.  Not sure yet what wood I will be using, perhaps a mix of hickory and apple.  We'll see.  Happy Memorial Day!

Hickory and apple is my favorite mix for butts with hickory and cherry next. I recently found the BoneSuckin sauce and really like it. Also, the piedmont is fantastic on pulled pork.

Ed, I too am brining and smoking a pork butt this weekend. I have a 9.5 lb bone in butt that will go into DM's pork brine Sunday for 12-13 hours. Then I plan on covering the butt with mustard and coating with Famous Daves rub. At about midnight Sunday night, I will put it in the SI #2 at 225 with 6 ozs of pecan wood and plan on smoking 15 hours or to an IT of 195. I have found that I prefer pecan wood with chicken and pork. After a double wrap in foil and a couple hours rest in a cooler we will be having some pulled pork sandwiches on Memorial Day. This will be my first pork butt in my SI#2. I hope everything goes according to plan.

The way I saw butts flying out of the store at the market today, I think everybody is having that on the menu this weekend.  I picked up a small one on sale, 6 lbs.  It is already in a brine and I've simmered my injection liquid. 

I am a no injection no brine guy. Thats my approach. I thinks its great we get to the same point (awesome pullled pork) with different methods. To be honest not looking forward to the 6am kickoff, but dems the breaks.

es1025 said:
I am a no injection no brine guy. Thats my approach. I thinks its great we get to the same point (awesome pullled pork) with different methods. To be honest not looking forward to the 6am kickoff, but dems the breaks.

Ed,

It's really just a matter of taste and how you do your thing.....

Some of the best BBQ joints and competitions teams, go basic.

Do what works for you, as you said the end result is all that matters.

Great BBQ!

Have a great weekend.

Greg

I put a 5.5lb butt in last night at 9:30 pm at 225 using 4 oz of wood.

Right now at 8:30 am it is sitting at 163 degrees.  I am actually hoping that it takes at least another 4 hours.

Chris

SuperDave said:
The way I saw butts flying out of the store at the market today, I think everybody is having that on the menu this weekend.  I picked up a small one on sale, 6 lbs.  It is already in a brine and I've simmered my injection liquid.
With all the Butts Flying off the shelf, hopefully an equal amount will be flying off the couch.  Best of holidays to all!

I got my butt on the smoker at 5:15am this morning at 235F...now at 9am, it is sitting at 145IT.  Thought I was going to go back to bed, but the dogs changed that plan!

I am 8 hours in now (1:30) and sitting at 183IT.  I think I should be removing and wrapping for rest somewhere around 3-4pm, dinner at 6!

I ended up at 20 hours for this butt.  I bumped it up to 245 for the last 1.5 hours and took it out of the smoker at 202 degrees.  Good bark.  A little drier than normal and not quite as smoky as I like.  I went with 4 oz hickory.  I normally do 3 oz hickory and 1 oz Apple.

My 8# butt finished at 4pm (11 hours) at 196IT.  Worked out perfectly as it could rest double wrapped in foil in a cooler for 2 hours.  Pulled perfectly, very moist...the rest period is really critical to getting the juices to redistribute.  Three racks of BB ribs today...

Took a little less than 10 hours, rested for two hours and might have been the butt I ever made. The piedmont sauce was a perfect compliment.

We put ours on at 12am Sunday and wrapped it in foil at 4pm IT 198. With the Auber I set it for 175 for an hour then 225 for IT 198 then 140 wrapped for an hour and a half. We coated the butt with yellow mustard and rubbed with our butt rub, wrapped and let sit for 4-5 hours. Used 5-6 oz of apple wood. I also for the first time injected about a juice box of apple juice a couple of hours before hitting the smoker. Our best effort to date! was very good.

Back