Pork Butt Question

For a shorter rib/poultry smoke, I cut my pieces down.

But for a long butt smoke, I usually just leave them whole as long as the smoke box cover can close.

For me wood pieces have been to inconsistent, even when I would wrap them or try and soak them. I have switched over to good pellets. I weigh them out and wrap in foil with 1 or two small slits, and will never go back. I get perfect and consistent smoke every time.
Just smoked 2 whole chickens last night for pulled chicken sandmiches...mmmmmmmmmmmm.
I always have smoke coming out at 20-25minute mark and the smoke is pretty much nonstop til the cooking is done. 4 ozs of hickory pellets, 2.5hrs and chickens were perfect.

I am puzzled as to how much you guys worry about wood. All that foiling, soaking a stressing. I grab a chunk either small medium or large and toss it in the back of the firebox. I don't monitor smoke color or duration and have no complaints over anything that I make in my SI.

+2

I would never dream of opening the door because the color didn't look right or if I had a belch. Opening the door is really the worst thing you can do, because if the wood hasn't ignited yet, that rush of oxygen when you open the door will light it up for sure.

Just leave the door shut and ride it out.

I do employ the ramp up technique to cut down on the belches. But, I don't bother with the foil boats.

+4...mostly. ;)  In the #1, throw the wood in and let 'er rip; never a belch.  The #2 will, so I do put foil on whatever size chunks weigh out right, and fit.  Other than that, no other intervention!

Back