Pork Butt Brined and Then Injected.

gregbooras

I have never done both a brine and the injection so this should be an interesting experiment. Hopefully not to interesting tomorrow we will be feeding guests :).

1 (9 lb Butt)

Brined for 12 hours with:
1 Gallon water
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup fine sea salt
1 t. #1 pink cure

Removed from brine and then inject with the following:

1 1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup water
3 T Worcestershire sauce.

Cover with yellow mustard and my rub and place in the refrigerator until ready to smoke later tonight.

For wood I plan to use 3.4 oz. cherry wood and 2.3 oz. hickory wood with a water pan.

I will post on the results tomorrow.

Greg

The new injector made injecting fun....

I am sure for the whole butt it only took me a few minutes total, just have to remember to place finger on previous hole to prevent spraying kitchen :)

Greg

Greg:  That recipe looks awesome!  What a great way to kick off the Summer.  Are you going to pull the butt for Sammies?  I got an injector for Christmas and now I am going to try your recipe in the next couple of weeks.  I have to get off this site....it is making me too hungry LOL. 

MNGuy1959 said:
Greg:  That recipe looks awesome!  What a great way to kick off the Summer.  Are you going to pull the butt for Sammies?  I got an injector for Christmas and now I am going to try your recipe in the next couple of weeks.  I have to get off this site....it is making me too hungry LOL.

Hey Gene,

I will let you know how it turns out, we are having neighbors over for dinner tonight. Right now the pork is in the second stall around 172 degrees.

Greg

Just pulled the Butt out of the smoker (190 degrees), smoke time was 14 hours. I sprinkled a bit of Apple Juice over the Butt and then foiled and placed in cooler. I will pull it out in about 2 hours or so for supper.

I will post again once dinner is ready!

Greg

Well dinner turned out great, I am all most to full to post :)

We had our friends over for dinner and had a great pasta salad with beans and smoked pork!

I hope everyone has a chance to smoke this weekend.

Greg

Looks great Greg. I guess the brining and injecting worked out well. Try putting some cole slaw on your sandwich...yum!

Barrel99 said:
Looks great Greg. I guess the brining and injecting worked out well. Try putting some cole slaw on your sandwich...yum!

Hey Arnie,

Dinner was impressive, so much my neighbors are interested in dumping their LP smoker and buying a #2.

Greg

Great job, Greg!  And +1 on Arnie's suggestion for cole slaw...adds a nice touch!  I have a BB brining now for a trip to smoker tomorrow; ribs going down for Monday.
Happy Memorial Day!

swthorpe said:
Great job, Greg!  And +1 on Arnie's suggestion for cole slaw...adds a nice touch!  I have a BB brining now for a trip to smoker tomorrow; ribs going down for Monday.
Happy Memorial Day!

Thanks Steve,

Happy Memorial Day right back at you!

Greg

SuperDave said:
So cut to the chase Greg, are you going to brine and inject again in the future or stick to one or the other?

Hey Dave,

The Butt had the best bark I have ever done, so I will try again and see if I can recreate the same result :)

Greg

I'm kinda at the point of brining everything now. Ribs I don't bother brining. Maybe I need to try more injecting now as well. Guess I haven't been convinced yet that injecting is necessary after brining. Since it's great in brisket, I will certainly try both on my next butt and chicken.

Arnie, early in my smoking career I tried injecting a few times and abandoned it because I was using injections with too much flavor.  I thought it was taking away from the flavor I really wanted but just to be juicier.  Now, I'm going to try again but with very simple and low impact injection recipes.  Like with briskets, a broth based injection solution is all it really takes. 

Back