Plain old mullet

BretJ

Purchased 2 fresh mullet and 3 mackerel this weekend from a local fish monger. Had them cleaned/butterflied then took them home and placed them in a glass block storage container. Added 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, filled the container with water and snapped the lid on. over the next 6 hours I would flip the block every hour. Removed and rinsed them then let them dry in the fridge over night. (Wife was not pleased...but baking soda smoothed things over.:))
Fish went into my #2 analog with 2oz. of apple chips in a foil packet. Set the temp to 190 and let it go for approx. 4 hours.

Mackerel was so-so. Nice smoke but an oily, mild bitter after taste. The mullet, on the other hand, was outstanding fresh off the grill and even better after sitting in the refrigerator over night. When I was stationed in the UK, I loved having smoked white fish from the market for breakfast or lunch and I missed being able to find it here in the US easily and at a reasonable price. This mullet was just as good if not better and a darned sight cheaper.

I will probably not do mackerel again but I guarantee when mullet are available, I am filling my #2.

Thank you for posting this. I would never had considered smoking mullet but will give it a try if I catch one this fall. Currently smoking bluefish.

Back