Out from behind the bushes

GeeBee

OK. I've stopped lurking. I just updated my profile. I lurked at Smoking Meat Forum for a long time, almost had myself convinced to get a MES, but kept reading about all the problems, mods required to get it working right, etc. so started looking elsewhere. Ended up here. I've decided on a #2. I've been in contact with Steve and I'm going to make the purchase in the middle of next month. So probably nothing more to add until then. Just wanted to say hello.

Welcome. I am a newbie here too.

I started looking at the MES too and ended up here. For those that take the time to really research the MES they will save themselves some headache and forgo the MES and go with a Smoken-It.

If all you can afford is $300, the MES should work OK. But I wanted better.

I am waiting to hear back from Steve about whether I can substitute "anything" for the free cord hanger/Rib hooks that he is including right now. I know it says no substitutes, but I figured it was worth asking. I just don't think that I would have any use for either item. So he may be better off keeping them and giving/selling them to someone else.

There is plenty of really good reading here that should keep you busy until next month when you order  :)

Happy smoking!

So, Gary, you're that guy I've seen in the bushes!  Glad to know it wasn't the boogeyman!  Welcome to the party!  Spend lots of time with us until you get your smoker; you'll be an expert by the time you do your first smoke! ;)

I, too, almost went the MES or Bradley route.  I just couldn't get excited about them, with all the negative issues.  A friend of mine bought a MES, and when it crapped out within 3 months of use, I was done considering one.  Then I found Smokin-It, and the rest is history! ;D

Thanks all for the cordial welcome. I've already read most of the posts on this forum and have learned a LOT! The tough part now is the wait. I'm waiting until next month because I'm going to meet Steve in person at the Columbus, Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo and pick my gear up there. No shipping cost.

Back