Ordered a #2

WW,
I have done beans in a Cast Iron Skillet on the uppermost shelf with good results. I do the same as you are suggesting, doctor up store bought beans. The longest I have done them for was four hours and that seemed about right for getting them thick and a slight crust on top. I will look for the link to the picture I posted. I didn't save the picture. I have only done them on shorter three to four hour smokes with chicken or turkey.

The beans do get a good smoke flavor from the condensation dripping from the top vent back into the beans. With you doing a long smoke I think your only option for doing them in the smoker would be to preset the top rack so it is in place, then four and one half hours prior to the end of your cook quickly open the door and slide in the beans. Push them back on the rack far enough to get them under the vent. before you load the beans in the smoker bring them to a gentle simmer on the stove top in the house so they do not act as a heat sink; going cold into the hot smoker. As worried as you seem to be about this first smoke perhaps you would be more comfortable not opening the smoker and just doing the beans on your grill. Use indirect heat (no fire the under beans). Soak a small chunk of wood and toss it on your coals for smoke flavor. If your using a gas grill, soak the wood chunk and put it in a perforated foil pouch to smolder.

I hope this helps.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1789.0
There is a picture of the beans on this link. That pan went for 7 hours at 240, that pan could have gone a little less time, but they were still quite good.

These beans went 3.5 hours at 240, they were good but no crust on top and not quite thick.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1725.0

Well I just removed the plastic wrap, rubbed on a bit more rub and put it in the smoker.

Wasn't too sure where to put both probes, so I put the meat probe angled towards the center.  Hopefully it's not touching the bone.

I put the 2nd probe clipped to the under side of the rack.

Got some light sprinkles of rain in the area.  Hopefully nothing leaks.  I've noticed a few people invert a small plastic cup over the controller.  I assume this is to shield it from rain?  Not sure how effective this would be here in Iowa, since the wind would probably blow it off in a couple of seconds.

I can somewhat shelter it under the eaves of the house.

Need a little chimney cap over the vent hole.  Not sure how much rain goes down the vent.  I did put the maverick in a zip lock bag, though it says it is supposed to be weather tight as well.

Going to bring the temperate up slowly to 225.  Not sure if I'll get any smoke burps.  My wood is from the local BBQ/Landscaping place that sells lots of BBQ/Smoking supplies.

Forgot to take a picture after I put the 2nd round of rub on it.

I'll try and take a few of the results and post them later.

Well I am a little past an hour into it, just dialed it up to 225.

Box temp is fluxing between 180 and 190, meat temp is 61, up from an initial 38.
I did use my instant read thermometer and it was reading 220+ coming from the top vent.
Not sure if the box probe is too close to the meat, but not really worried as it's the meat temp that's important.

I did place a disposable loaf pan of apple juice next to the wood box, as I've seen others do.

Didn't seem to get any burps or temp spikes that would indicate wood combustion.  Just a lot of nice smoke coming from he vent.

Well a little over 4 hours into the smoke.

Just remembered I forgot to slather the butt in mustard before doing the dry rub.  Didn't have any issues with the rub sticking.  I guess we will see when the butt is done.

I've been watching the temps pretty close and charting them in excel just for kicks. 

Seems to fluctuate between 185 and 215.  I have also checked the temp at the vent with my quick read digital and it's been a pretty consistent 235 average.

Here's the chart I did.

Attachments

• Smoke1Chart.JPG
    Smoke1Chart.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 264
I did take a 3 hour nap  LOL, though I am about ready for another.

I think I've hit the stall, temp from 7:30 to 10:30 has only changed from 153 to 158.  Hopefully it's starting to climb out of it.

Box temp seems to be less erratic, it is fluctuating from 196 to 210, 14 degrees difference. The temp at the vent is running 209 to 233, a 24 degree difference.

Pretty interesting plotting the temps. 

Looks like you are well underway!  The stall can last several hours, so don't be alarmed.  I have started butts at 5-6 am that hit the stall around 10-11am, and then the temp barely moves until mid-afternoon.  Just ride it out!  Cheers

Yes!  Got ribs on the #2 this afternoon, and just got back from hitting balls on the range!  Ribs should be on the table at 6.  You have to love the lazy-Q!

6:30 PM has come and gone. The Weekend Warrior is ether, to greasy to post pictures or has fallen asleep because he was up half the night charting temps.

We ended up cranking up the heat to 250 as it was still only 162 after 13 hours and going nowhere.  Took another 5 hours to hit 190, 17 hours in total.  This made the vent temp 225 to 245, the grate Probe was 225 to 235.

I checked the temp when I pulled it out with my quick read digital and it showed 195.

Not sure why the Maverick was reading 5 degrees lower than the other.  Would being too close to the bone make it read lower?

I didn't get any pictures of the after.  I have some before pics.

Pork was better than any of the bbq places, so overall it was a great success.

A little over 8 lbs, 17 hours...not unusually long.  1.5 -  2 hours per pound is a good rule of thumb, but not an exact science.  Funny thing about large cuts of meat, like butts and briskets - they're made by animals, and they're all different!  Lots of factors effect cook time:  the density of the muscle (Arnold Piginator, or Couch Potato Pig?), the amount of fat, and the connective tissue.  If you plan to use your supplier on a regular basis, you might keep this in mind.  Typically, meat you buy from a particular source is pretty consistent, as far as quality of the meat. 

Next time, I'd recommend starting the butt at 240 instead of 225...this won't hurt anything, and will probably speed the cook time, without sacrificing tenderness.

Overall, sounds like great results!  Anytime I hear "better than any BBQ places," I know we have a winner! ;D

Back