Newbie #1

Thank you guys - really appreciate all the input.  I'll post how my second attempt goes.  Fingers crossed!

OK, I think we made progress this evening - it was decent and edible, but still too much smoke flavor.  Here's what I did:

1) Used 2.5 oz of oak with foil underneath to prevent combustion
2) Set smoke to 200 and it took about 1 hour 45 min for the meat to reach 140
3) Let it rest for 15 min while oven came up to 500
4) Did reverse sear for 5 min

I think next time I will take the wood all the way down to 1.5 oz.  I think the smoke flavor should be in the background and not overpower the seasoning and taste of the meat.  I discovered that my family likes a very light smoke and I think I have to agree with them.  Other than the amount of smoke, I think this was okay for a 2nd attempt.  Meat was done to perfection - just need to work on the taste.  Feedback welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 318
Now THAT tri-tip looks downright tasty, Ken!  Hard to believe 2.5 oz. of wood was too much - you guys sure you like BBQ? ;)  No worries - everyone has their own "taste" for smoked meat!  If you back it off, and like the results, all good! 8)

I just think that these smokers are so darn efficient that you need a lot less wood than you normally use.  The meat was cooked to perfection, but it still had a somewhat bitter aftertaste that I suspect is due to over smoking.  If there is something these that I should try then I'm open to suggestions.  Still not perfected, but will keep trying until I get it right.

Walt said:
Try a different wood.  Maybe something mild like peach.

I think this is a great suggestion. Hickory, Mesquite, and Oak are pretty strong flavored woods. A lighter profiled wood would like Peach, Pecan, or even Apple might just be the ticket for you.

OK, so I figured I would try a brisket flat that I picked up at Costco.  I injected it with beef broth the night before and put some Oklahoma Joe's rub on it.  It was only 2.7 lbs so I cooked it at 225 for almost 6 hours until it got to 192.  Took it out and wrapped it up in 2 layers of foil, put it in a cooler and let it set for 90 min or so.  I went very light on the wood (only 1.5 oz of peach) and my family liked the flavor this time.  The brisket was soft, but I would not call it tender or moist - more work to do.  I'll probably take the left-overs and put them in the crock with some bbq sauce and make brisket sandwiches tomorrow.  Still think this is more of an art than a science and I'll keep learning.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 300
I believe tri tips are a grilling thing in my opinion. I cook dozens of these every year and they are fantastic. I just don't think the lean meat holds up to a low and slow cook. A recent cook on Christmas for family, using a kettle for a reverse sear:

20141225_161632_zpse67a8abd.jpg

While I agree, John, that tri-tips are great on the grill, Ken's 2nd-effort picture above looks pretty darn tasty!  Looks like it held up quite well. ;)  I'd have hit it with 3 oz of oak, but that's just my taste!

Back