New User in VA

Grampy said:
My 2 cents, you may want to think about going 3-1-1 if you are using baby backs. The 3-2-1 method is used more with spare ribs. Baby backs will take less time than the spare ribs and I would think the 3-2-1 would be too long for baby backs . I am a big fan of the 5 hour no peek method for baby backs.

Thanks for the advise! Just the kind of thing I was looking for.

Welcome Aaron…………as a newbie myself here with a SI #1 this form is so vita to all my successful smokes, these people are very knowledgeable and they love to share.  I also go along with the 5 hr no peek…………good luck and post some pictures

Aaron, while I applaud your plan to "go big" on your fist smoke in the new #2, I'll honestly tell you that you may be setting yourself up for failure.  First, 4 racks and a whole chicken will not fit in a #2.  You will use 1 shelf per rack of ribs (you don't want them jammed up against each other - the smoke and heat need to flow around them).  Next, you are smoking "dissimilar" types of meat.  You want to smoke your ribs at 225-235, and your chicken at 250.  Plus, you're going to be doing a lot of door opening - very counterproductive to a good smoke.  It lets all the moisture out, and the smoker has to constantly reheat itself. 

I would recommend starting out a little more conservatively.  Smoke all the ribs first, by themselves.  Don't mess with the "3-2-1," "2-2-1," or whatever foiling method you decide on.  Just put the ribs in there with a juice pan on the floor (next to the smoke box), close the door, and don't open it until around 5 hours.

When the ribs are done, let the smoker cool and start the chicken and mac & cheese. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not telling you to change your plans, I'm just giving you my 2¢ worth, from a guy who has a lot of smokes in the #1 and #2.  Every tool has its limits, and your plan will likely exceed the #2's capabilities.

On this advise, I did the ribs separate. 5 hours, no peek with a loaf pan of apple juice next to the smoker box.  Ribs were overcooked and dry after 5 hours at 225. Wish I would have foil wrapped, or had a probe in them.

Hands down, the winner of the day was the chicken.  Breast down, two racks up from the smoke box, dry brine rubbed on, all skin removed before cooking. It took about 3.5-4 hrs for the probes to register it done.  I had one probe in the thigh, and one in the breast.  It was super juicy and flavorful. Did a simple herb rub on top of the dry brine.

Thanks. Next time I'll have a probe on the ribs and in the smoker. I think the rheostat may be consistently off by a bit. Chicken was done in 3.5 hours. Brats were at 170 in less than 40 minutes.... Seems a little quick if the box was actually at 225.

3.5 hours for the chicken at 225F sounds about right, at least for a 6# or so chicken.  For the ribs, it will be tough to insert a probe and not hit a piece of bone, so we just go by time for ribs.  At 225F, 5 hours would be about right for the ribs, but this will vary depending on how meaty they are.  I would try the ribs again, and just start checking at 4.5 hours to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.  All in all, though, you are up and running!  Cheers

swthorpe said:
3.5 hours for the chicken at 225F sounds about right, at least for a 6# or so chicken.  For the ribs, it will be tough to insert a probe and not hit a piece of bone, so we just go by time for ribs.  At 225F, 5 hours would be about right for the ribs, but this will vary depending on how meaty they are.  I would try the ribs again, and just start checking at 4.5 hours to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.  All in all, though, you are up and running!  Cheers

+1 - but start checking the ribs at 4 hours, until you find the "sweet spot" for your taste & smoker (everyone's a little different on what they like).  I smoked 2 racks of meaty baby backs last weekend, and I always do 3 racks at a time.  I totally spaced out and didn't account for the reduced meat mass in the smoker!  I actually overcooked mine a little at 5 hours!  First ribs, ever, in the SI that were overdone.  Live and learn!  You can't probe ribs - you'll never get an accurate reading with so little meat, and so much bone.

Back