New to Smoking - Brisket Questions

GBSmoke

Hey guys!

Just got my #1 last week. I'm ready to give a brisket a chance. I'm completely new to this and have been reading for the past few hours and this is what I've got (never smoked anything):

For brisket I want a flat. Maybe 4-5 lbs for a small family.

Use a rub, use mustard to stick it to the brisket. Toss it in the #1 at 225 (top shelf due to heat being most stable there), meat directly from the fridge.

It should hit maybe 140 or so and stick for a few hours. Then max out around 200 in 5-6 hours. Take it out, wrap in tin foil and throw it in the fridge for 30-45 mins to let the juices recirculate.

Is that it? Does that sound about right?

Welcome.  Your plan seems pretty stable.  Personally, I would take it to 190-195 instead of 200.

Also, when you wrap it and let it rest, i would not do that in a refrigerator.  If you are going to do it for 30 min. Do it on the counter.  If you need to hold it for an hour or more, do that in an empty cooler with towels.

**  EDIT  **  Double wrap in foil as well.  And wrap in a fashion so that it won't leak and make a mess.

Sounds like a plan, Terry, if you're on short-notice.  I like to inject brisket, rub, and let rest in the fridge overnight.  Rick's definitely right about the rest after cooking - counter or cooler, not in the fridge.  Let us know how it goes!

Thanks guys. I'm going to use this rub (oklahoma joes smoked brisket rub)

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/oklahoma-joes-smoked-brisket-flat-recipe.html?oc=linkback

I'm going to use hickory -- how many oz would you use? I have the plugs that came with the smoker (the round pegs). I can weigh them and cut to whatever you guys think I will need.

I'm a bit unclear on the mustard. Do you slather it on and simply use it as a glue? Or is it even necessary?

The rub sounds good, Terry.  Coating the meat with yellow mustard allows it to "bind" the rub.  The rub sticks well, coats good, and you'll never taste the mustard (taste goes completely away).  I find the mustard also helps with moisture retention.  I've tried lots of binders, but always come back to cheap yellow mustard.

Alright, success!

i used the rub I posted earlier. I ended up with a 6.25lb hunk of meat. I was able to get about 3/4 of the rub onto the meat.

I dropped it in at 225 at about 230pm. It did just as expected and stalled real briefly around 150 and then hit 189 at about 645pm and actually started dropping down to 176 and then back to 181 and then back to 185 around 745PM.

I pulled it out at 745, double wrapped it. The rub was a bit moist and soggy on some parts, but others are just fine.

So I cut it and as you can see in the pics, I cut it the wrong way :D so it was a bit tougher than anticipated. I figured it out and cut it the other way for testing and it was a lot better.

I will say that it was very.... sirloin steak-like. It was overall kind of dry. Any advice? Maybe wrap it at 150? Inject instead of rub? Use the point instead of the flat?

It was still dynamite delicious!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 383
Looks good.  I slather the mustard pretty good.  I think it adds to the bark.  But it's really just a binder.  Sometimes I use a sugar based bbq sauce but I see little difference when I'm done. 

Job well done.

Looks tasty, Terry.  For me, I like to use a full packer-cut brisket (point and flat together).  The extra fat really keeps the whole thing more moist.  As for the question of injection or rub? ...Yes!  Inject and rub!  Let sit in the fridge overnight, wrapped, to let that injection work to tenderize and moisturize the meat.

I like to pull brisket out at 195, double-wrap in foil, and rest in the cooler (covered with towels) for at least an hour before slicing.  Oh, a simple trick to always find the cross-grain cut after cooking is to cut off a little corner of the flat before cooking, when you can see the grain well.  It's easy to spot the direction to slice after cooking.

I inject with low salt beef broth fat side down thats it.

My brisket rub
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp oregano.

If you are looking for flavorfull moist meat & buttery fat, my method works absurdly well.  Granted, this method requires a bit more prep but is well worth it.  Posted under Beef, "Walt's brined & injected brisket".  Very detailed post.  I like to pull between 198 & 203 & double wrap for an hour.

Here's my injection for brisket:

1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 Tbsp crystal hot sauce
2 Tbsp demerara sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup full-bodied beer 

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be doing another maybe next month and will work in some of the suggestions and as always, pics to follow!

Just remember, Terry, that the journey should be as much fun as reaching the destination!  You're in for lots of learning experiences, and before long, you'll be the local Q expert!  And, GO PACKERS! ;D

Back