new Model #1...need advice

Hi Hoover,
Yes, my first smoke was salmon jerky. I messed up on the amount ( too much ) of curing salt. And too much salt in the liquid brine mixture.
I also smoked some rockfish at the same time.
The rockfish was super salty, the salmon not too bad, but left a weird after taste in my mouth. I figured it was the curing salt, so I tossed it. I did this without the jerky fan.

Smoked some beef jerky. Tried a salt and pepper recipe I found online.
This time it didn't have enough salt, and I over dried it. Next time I'll check it sooner. I put the temperature at 140 for two hours and then added the jerky fan for four hours.

I finally got a thermometer, so now I'll see how hot it's really is in the box.

Bought some whole chicken today, so looking for the recipe that was posted about soaking in brine.

I gotta keep working at this until I get it right. I notice that wood ( Smokinlicious ) only smoked for an hour at 140. The first time I put a 3 oz piece in and it was charcoal on the bottom and wood at the top. So the second time I split the wood chunks into slimmer pieces ( 2.75 oz ). It smoked for about an hour and it was charcoal at the end. So I don't know if this is normal or not. but, the beef jerky had smoke flavoring. I think if it had smoked longer, it might too much for me.

Thanks for inquiring,
Craig

Back