New Member From New York State.......

• Thread starter Thread starter DiggingDogFarm
  • Start date Start date
Wow, Martin!  Two in one week??  I'm green with envy!  lol! ;)  Should be good times, soon, around the DiggingDogFarm! ;D

NDKoze said:
So jealous!

What do you have planned for your first few smokes?

Pork butt in the Little Guy real soon and them maybe a cured pork shoulder.

The Big Daddy is mostly intended for sausage, hams and the like....I probably won't be doing much with that until the weather breaks.

Sounds really good, Martin!  How about sharing some of your great brining & curing techniques with the gang, when you have time?

Y'all are in for a treat!  Martin knows more about the art of brining & curing than anyone I've known.  The "cured pork shoulder" comment should have been a clue that something special is coming! ;D

Trust me, if you all want to learn a thing or three about this topic, Martin's "the Man!"

The butt will have to wait a few more days.
I went to prep the butt for the smoker last night and the "better-half" had frozen it solid!!!!!
GGGRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

The Big Daddy is finally here and I can definitely confirm that it is HUGE!!!  :o

The bummer is, I don't see a thin wrench for the casters included with this one....I have a bunch of 3/4" wrenches but nothing that's thin enough!  :o

Arghhh!  Another glitch!  Fortunately, it doesn't usually take a lot to screw them in.  Should go in by hand, then just give them a little with some needle nose pliers and call it good!

Already tried the pliers, that was a no go...tried lube...didn't help...I think I can remedy the problem by adding a nut to each caster and tightening that up.

Hey Martin - hope you don't think this is a dumb question, but did you get a wrench with your Model 1?  Are the caster nuts the same size?  Just curious...

Remember:  There's no such thing as a "stupid question," but I've found the world is full of curious idiots. ;D

Nope...they're not the same size...much bigger casters on the #4.
The "better-half" now calls the #1 "The Dwarf." LOL  ;D

LOL!  You could buy a # 2, then put the 1 and 2 inside the 4!  It'd be like those Russian "nesting eggs!"  Hahaha! ;D

I think the #4 is bigger than my first apartment!  Congratulations on your purchase! 

I had a similar weather related delay with my #3, but the FedEx tracking register simply said that the weather was impacting deliveries.  Mine made the long leg of the journey the first day and then sat in a nearby warehouse for 4 days before President's day.

Dan

All the bad experiences I've had with FedEx over the years made for a nervous wait!!!!!!

So, you're not really going to wait until the weather breaks to try that Big Daddy out, are you??  I recommend a feed for your family and 20 of your closest friends!  I think a couple of briskets and 2 or 3 pork butts would be perfect for a little "get together!" ;)  Time for an "epic smoke," my friend!

I think I'm going to build some type of permanent roofed home for it....just not quite sure how I should do it....I hate the thought of hauling it in and out of the garage or shed all the time.

Two smokers....three big garbage bags full of Styrofoam....I'm glad they're packed well!!!  :D

There is supposed to be a wrench included.
Steve is sending me one.

Back