My First Turkey Breast in my SI#2

Tony,
The foil is actually wrapped tight to the bottom & sides.  I think that the excess foil left after wrapping that is sticking up makes it look loose.  I'm going to experiment this weekend with wrapping completely in foil with some holes.
I will also check out the web sites that you suggested.
The brine that I used is in my initial post and it is a combination of yours and Ed's.  I left out the Rosemary (my wife thought that she had some but actually did not) and I added crushed bay leaves and parsley flakes.  Have you ever tried substituting a white wine for the juice in your recipe?  I saw that someone else posted that and it intrigued me.
Back on the wood, I have access to hickory, pecan, apple and peach trees.  I could easily cut a few limbs and make my own chunks.  Do you know how long to let the wood dry?  Is it ok to use cut lengths of a 1" diameter limb or does it need to be larger pieces that are split?
Thanks again for your help.

Ravel, if the foil was tight, it's your wood.  No problem with cutting your own, but it takes several months (or more) for it to cure enough to smoke.  I'm sure you know to never use "green" wood.  I would cut some of those branches, and store them in a garage or somewhere with good airflow around them.  Leave them to season, and order some good wood for the interim. 

I haven't tried white wine in a brine, but have thought it might be good.  Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Back