Model #3 Just Arrived

jmhobbs

Hello from eastern Nebraska!  Just unpacked my model #3 and I'm excited.

I've been smoking on a horizontal offset for a few years and got tired of babysitting it every time I want smoked food.  It's good when I have a free Saturday to burn, but it really limited me.  Super excited to try this out.

Any tips for a stick burner moving to electric?  My favorite thing in the instructions has been "DO NOT try to add more wood during the smoking process" during a smoke.  Music to my ears.

Welcome jmhobbs. I also left the stock burner world a few years back. Go easy with the wood. Several of us weigh our wood so as to not over smoke. I do 2 or 3 ounces for ribs and 5 or 6 ounces for butts and brisket.  I actually prefer a light rather than a heavy smoke flavor. So go easy with the wood. And enjoy.

Welcome from Delaware, jmhobbs!    Old Sarge is spot on with the small amount wood needed to get excellent smokes from SI.  I would add another thing you will notice is all of the extra free time that you will have to do other things while smoking in that babysitting the SI is not required.  Just set it, and forget it until the meat is done.    As a result of this, I suspect you will find yourself doing a lot more smoking that you have in the past with the stick burner!    Cheers

Congrats, JM!  You are about to simplify your smoking world!  You might even get some time to do other things, while smoking a butt or brisket! ;)

Now that your here, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line?  We're pretty friendly, around here, and first names are great!

Let us know how we can help a recovering stick burner!

Thanks!  I like the idea of weighing the wood, makes for repeatable experimentation.

Done and done!

Another big thing that can be an adjustment for propane and stick burners is that you no longer need to mop, foil, Texas crutch, mist, etch. in order to prevent your meat from drying out. Just add a water pan and don't open the door and the smoker will retain so must moisture that these tricks of the trade are no longer needed.

Our motto is to save your foil for lining your smoke box and bottom of your smoker. :)

NDKoze said:
Another big thing that can be an adjustment for propane and stick burners is that you no longer need to mop, foil, Texas crutch, mist, etch. in order to prevent your meat from drying out. Just add a water pan and don't open the door and the smoker will retain so must moisture that these tricks of the trade are no longer needed.

Our motto is to save your foil for lining your smoke box and bottom of your smoker. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself, Gregg!  +1!

NDKoze said:

True that! The hardest part will be trying to break your old habits, of babysitting, staying up all night, monitoring, and fussing, and just letting the smoker do it's thing!

Welcome from Texas John! I gave up burning logs a couple of years back myself. Like the others have advised it will be hard not to peek and tend a fire while the process is ongoing. Believe me you will want to. Enjoy!

Back