Mesquite Sirloin Tip Roast

DivotMaker

Smoked a 5.5 lb "choice" sirloin tip roast yesterday.  I rubbed it with mustard and Jeff Phillips' rub, and smoked at 205° with 3.5 oz of mesquite (+ apple juice pan).  When it hit 130, I foiled and rested it while the oven heated to 545.  Then, I gave it a reverse-sear to brown the rub a bit more.  Total smoke time 3.5 hours to hit 130.

The meat was tender and tasty.  I like the sirloin tip roast done like this - kind of "poor man's" prime rib! ;)  I normally use Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on beef, but thought I'd give Jeff's rub a try.  It was good, but I think I prefer the Baldridge.

Attachments

• 2014-07-13 17.38.30.jpg
    2014-07-13 17.38.30.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 2014-07-13 17.47.24.jpg
    2014-07-13 17.47.24.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 329
Thin slices courtesy a Victorinox Granton-edge carving knife!  Keep it sharp, and it's great!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=792.0

Thats a great knife isn't it.  next time try a dalmatian rubs with a little garlic powder.  The rub enhances the meat.

I was in a meat locker in NE Iowa last weekend and saw a Sirloin Tip Roast on display and remembered your recent post so I bought it.  I covered it with mustard and coated it with Montreal Steak seasoning.  Then in the #1 at 210 with 3 oz hickory.  Three and half hours later wrapped it in foil and set in a towel lined cooler for 2 hours then in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes.  My wife and I agreed this was so similar to a prime rib I could have fooled just about anyone.  Thanks for help, Jim

Hey Tony this is very nice, if wanted to take it to a med. rare would you suggest an IT of 150 degrees? Yours is a bit to rare for my family but they will go with a med. rare or just a little pink.

jimrh said:
I was in a meat locker in NE Iowa last weekend and saw a Sirloin Tip Roast on display and remembered your recent post so I bought it.  I covered it with mustard and coated it with Montreal Steak seasoning.  Then in the #1 at 210 with 3 oz hickory.  Three and half hours later wrapped it in foil and set in a towel lined cooler for 2 hours then in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes.  My wife and I agreed this was so similar to a prime rib I could have fooled just about anyone.  Thanks for help, Jim

Thanks Jim!  If you have a Sam's around, check out the Top Sirloins in the cryovac bags.  Absolutely killer!

elkins20 said:
Hey Tony this is very nice, if wanted to take it to a med. rare would you suggest an IT of 150 degrees? Yours is a bit to rare for my family but they will go with a med. rare or just a little pink.

Bill, this roast was medium-rare.  I think you may mean medium-well.  I can't advise on the temp needed for that, as I would probably feed it to the dog if it ended up there.  Same as ruined, in my house. ;)  But, if you must, 150+ should be fine.

You will have to hunt for any pink at 150.  I like medium at 138 that gives a nice pink without any of the red flesh look. 

SuperDave said:
You will have to hunt for any pink at 150.  I like medium at 138 that gives a nice pink without any of the red flesh look.

Sounds like his family wants gray, which is going to be in the 150 zone.  Low 140s for a "little" pink.  On steaks, I enjoy your medium (135-138).  But, for some reason, a tender roast or prime rib?  Medium-rare is great with us! 

Bill, you'll get more than a little pink at 138.

Am looking for just a light pink center, not grey as that is well done. I can always pull it early as I can do the medium rare. Just rest of family cannot will just have to find a happy temp. for everyone.

Gotcha, Bill.  Medium-well is a level between medium, and what you call well-done.  Med-well will have some pink, whereas well-done is gray and dry...essentially shoe leather, at that point!  If I hear someone order that when I'm at a steakhouse, it takes all of my self-control to not get up and throw them out!! LOL! :o

Pulling at 138 usually means the meat slides to 140. And cooking a few minutes longer if desired is a lot easier than uncooking it. Lol

DivotMaker said:
Gotcha, Bill.  Medium-well is a level between medium, and what you call well-done.  Med-well will have some pink, whereas well-done is gray and dry...essentially shoe leather, at that point!  If I hear someone order that when I'm at a steakhouse, it takes all of my self-control to not get up and throw them out!! LOL! :o

You got me belly laughing again Tony. At the steak house I go med. rare and usually get a pink center. My Mom rest her soul wanted her beef burnt. My Dad likes his on the rare side. And the wife varies with what type of meat is being cooked. But for beef she like a little pink center.

Fillet mignon...............Pittsburgh rare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

I agree, if I am with company and they order anything above medium (that's being generous) I just shake my head.  Then I get a kick in the shin from my wife.

Back