Meathead's Memphis Dust

All
I am trying something different. I am removing the salt from the rub and then dry brining overnight. Meathead recommends 1/2 teaspoon per pound.

Since the last pork butt i made i did just kosher salt, The butt was outstanding. It can only be better with the dust.

Hey Ed, on the dry brining do you also use a mustard smear on the BB before adding the rub? Just curious as a lot here smear with mustard to hold the rub in place.

I can't stand the taste or smell of rosemary or ginger used in Meathead's Memphis Dust so I substituted them with cumin and oregano to make a slightly different version:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoon ground oregano

elkins20 said:
Hey Jimmy, this looks like something I would like, could you use smoked paprika in your recipe?

Bill, sure you could. I actually prefer smoked paprika but didn't have any on hand.

Bill
After rinsing the meat from the dry brine, i dry the meat and then brush with a little water. I have used Worcestershire sauce as well. I like to take a simple approach.

Hey Ed, Hmmmm so you do not use the mustard as a base coat prior to the rub? I guess you can use anything to help the rub adhere to the meat better?

You can use lots of things for the binder including oil. I like the mustard on butts/brisket/ribs because it helps create a nice thick chewy bark that we in my family covet so much.

I don't think you would get the quality of bark from water or even oil.

Gregg
The last butt i made has an awesome bark using just water. Believe it or not. I stumbled upon this method. It works for my smokes. The rub clings very well.

Meatball said:
Has any one made this without the ginger seasoning?

The ginger is kind of an odd-ball ingredient. I think it would be fine without it. I make my own rubs, and I have never put ground ginger in any rub, but I have put fresh ginger in poultry brines. Not that the ground ginger would be bad. I find it interesting. It might be worth a try.

I like Meatheads rubs and his site is excellent. I was wondering if leaving out the ginger would be a deal breaker on this rub.

Meatball said:
I like Meatheads rubs and his site is excellent. I was wondering if leaving out the ginger would be a deal breaker on this rub.

I don't think leaving the ginger out is a deal breaker. I think amazingribs is a GREAT source of information. Meathead himself, not such a nice person. Read the comments section a little bit, and you will see.

Dont leave it out. This is my go to rub and its amazing.  You wont even taste it. I would recommend getting ground rosemary.

Back