Maverick ET-733 issues

If you read Mike's first post, the 282 vs. 203 seemed outside what we should ignore and find acceptable.  The discussion of 20 to 30 degree swings is on point if that is really all that's going on.  If one of these smokers was someone's first, I could see the temperature thing being an issue.  However, if a person took a step back and realized how great of Q comes off stick burners and other fuel based smokers, one would have to know that pinpoint temperature control NEVER happens in those smokers.  Exact temperature, and I see it here all the time, is made to be a much bigger deal than it really is.  i.e. debates over cook temps between 225 or 235 are ridiculous, IMO.  So, Mike, in your first post, were you stating that you were set somewhere around 200 and it spiked to 282? 

SuperDave said:
If you read Mike's first post, the 282 vs. 203 seemed outside what we should ignore and find acceptable.  The discussion of 20 to 30 degree swings is on point if that is really all that's going on.  If one of these smokers was someone's first, I could see the temperature thing being an issue.  However, if a person took a step back and realized how great of Q comes off stick burners and other fuel based smokers, one would have to know that pinpoint temperature control NEVER happens in those smokers.  Exact temperature, and I see it here all the time, is made to be a much bigger deal than it really is.  i.e. debates over cook temps between 225 or 235 are ridiculous, IMO.  So, Mike, in your first post, were you stating that you were set somewhere around 200 and it spiked to 282? 

+1 Dave nailed it.

I have to think that the spike to 282 was because of a combustion belch. This is the only time I have seen this.

I have exact temp control with the stock controller and never have "belches". At least I have never seen any....

I add wood without foil, soaking or worry, just weigh it and toss it in the firebox. Then I set the stock controller and walk away. I return later and remove finished smoked meat perfection, doneness determined by either by IT or smoking for a predetermined time.

If you use my method, of not monitoring the box temp or constantly watching the smoke come out you have nothing to fuss over or worry about.

It may be doing 30 degree temp swings and blowing smoke like a steam engine but I don't care. I don't see it and my food is fantastic, so it is logical to assume, my smoker is flawless.

I recommend you stop fussing over the little details. The three important questions in smoking meat are how does the meat look, smell and taste when done. If the answer to those questions is "good" there is no issue.

Dave and Brian are absolutely right!  Whether you use the analog stock controller, the Auber, or HeaterMeter, it really all boils-down to "how's the food turn out?"  Some of like the precision control over temp that we get from a PID controller, but it is NOT necessary!  I've smoked plenty in my #1 with the stock controller, with zero problems.

There are also valid points about trying to analyze box temp with such a small amount of meat in the #2.  Yes, it will absolutely effect your readings - whether you think it "logical" or not.  I know, because I've tested it both ways. 

Here's my real point (sorry for taking the long way around):  Stop monitoring box temp, and just smoke something.  If you try to monitor box temps on these things (I did it once, and realized how pointless it was), it will drive you crazy.  Just prep some ribs or a pork butt, set your dial to 225, and smoke them.  When they are done, ask yourself "Do they a.) Look good, and b.) Taste even better than they look?  If both of those are a "yes," there is no problem.  I'd certainly try that first, before tearing into your new smoker to replace the controller!  Just my 2¢...

Back