Just ordered a 3D and I'm looking for suggestions on my first item to smoke

dibiase

Ordered a 3D yesterday and it looks like it will be here for the weekend and the forecast is 70 and sunny so I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it right away.  I am upgrading from a very old brinkmann charcoal smoker.  I live close to lake Michigan so I go salmon fishing with my dad every year and primary used the Brinkmann for smoking salmon.  I have had great success with smoking salmon but when I have tried to venture out to other smoked meat like smoked pork shoulder or ribs I never had any luck.  I always had trouble getting the brinkmann over 200 and keeping it there.  I love smoke meat so I finally decided to pickup something else.  I checked out gas and electric smokers and it's seems like you can't beat the convenience of electric and the easier it is the more I will do it.  I know when I finally gave up my charcoal grill for my Weber Summit gas grill I started grilling at least 10 times more often.

So considering I haven't had much luck smoking anything but fish, what would you guys/gals recommend for my first smoke on the new 3D?  I was thinking about ribs since I love smoked ribs and based on what I have read here they seem pretty strait forward.

thanks

First off congratulations and welcome. My vote is for anything pork. Ribs are easy and you eat sooner. And you get familiar with the smoker.

I am a big fan of baby backs. But really it is your preference. Check out the pork section. Not discouraging you from doing a butt or brisket, many have done a large chunk of meat as a first smoke. But I always recommend a couple racks of ribs just to get your feet wet. 5 or 6 hours later you are eating and grinning.

old sarge said:
I am a big fan of baby backs. But really it is your preference. Check out the pork section. Not discouraging you from doing a butt or brisket, many have done a large chunk of meat as a first smoke. But I always recommend a couple racks of ribs just to get your feet wet. 5 or 6 hours later you are eating and grinning.
Couldn't disagree with a great suggestion. Baby backs are an excellent choice and require virtually no trimming, although many remove the membrane on the bone side to get more flavor into the meat. You'll be able to lay them out as a full rack with no cutting, one of the nice benefits of the #3. If you don't have a good rub, explore some of the recipes you'll find under that topic. Welcome and enjoy those ribs. Happy Smoking!

Welcome, and congrats!!!  Now that you're part of the family, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line?  Nice to know our new friends! :D

Now, I'm going to dissent, with my distinguished colleagues, on your "inaugural smoke."  I always recommend a big 'ol bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork!  Yes, it takes longer than ribs, but really lets you get to know your smoker, and also helps with the seasoning!  Couldn't be easier... 8)

Brined Butt for Pulled Pork

Plus, this introduces you to the wonderful world of brining, if you've never done it!  2 birds, one stone!  Just my 2¢!

Whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed with the outcome, if you follow some simple techniques that we've really dialed-in for our smokers!

Good call on the signature Tony. Seems a lot friendlier with a name. I really want to do a pork butt soon but I will need to season it this weekend too so I might stick with Ribs this weekend and Pork butt next weekend. Good this summer is just started so lots of time to smoke stuff.

Good to meet you, Chris!  Like I said, whichever way you go will be great!  I think Walt has the best idea, though! ;)

Hi Chris, and welcome from the Keys. I always think that a Boston butt is a great confidence builder. Just remember to get a large one (9+lbs if possible) and to brine it. A very forgiving cut of meat, almost impossible to screw up, although very unpredictable on timing. Have fun.

Welcome from ND Chris!

I always recommend a butt for your first smoke as it is pretty hard to mess up and ensures your first smoke will be a good one. But ribs work too. Either way there are stickies at the top of the Pork section that provide instructions to help new users especially people new to electric smokers.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. We love to see pics.

As you have already found, this is a pretty family oriented group here and we enjoy sharing in others successes and work hard to find solutions to those rate failures.

Welcome from Texas Chris! Pork butts are a great first smoke. Brined or not, injected or not they are almost automatic. Do a search for pork butt and prepare to be overwhelmed with recipes and suggestions. Just be sure to get the bone in kind and between 8 to 10 pounds as smaller ones are sometimes troublesome. Prepare to be amazed at how easy it is to produce tasty Q with your new smoker! Enjoy!

Thanks for all the replies.  This forum is fantastic with a lot of great recipes and tips.  My 3D is actually out for delivery from Fedex, which is sooner than I expected so I will get the seasoning done when I get home tonight.  I have a craving for ribs so I think I'm going to try the no peek ribs first and Pork butt with brine next. 

Good call on both.  Recently bought my 1st smoker -3D- and absolutely love it.  The good folks on the forum are a major reason for my purchase, quick learning curve and producing some pretty tasty BBQ so quickly. 

I vote for pork butt for the first smoke, and here's why. You can put a temp probe in a butt. Since you can't probe ribs, the temptation for someone at their first smoke is to keep opening the door to "look" at the ribs. And just open the door from the sheer excitement of it all! It seems like I see a lot of posts where people do ribs for their first smoke, and are disappointed for one reason or another. But usually because they are undercooked, because they open the door to look, spritz or mop (not necessary with the SI), sauce, wrap, etc. and just general unnecessary fussing. And just cuz they want to see what's going on in there! Since ribs go by time only, you DO have to open the door eventually to check them for doneness. Pork butt is a nice long smoke, and goes by temperature only. When it's done, it's done. Open the door and take it out with confidence. It's also very forgiving, stays moist, and is practically fool-proof. And it further seasons the smoker nicely.

Welcome from a fellow Wisconsinite by the way! I use my SI all winter long!

Back