Jerky Bummer

nhns4

Darn.  Was planning on finally testing out the jerky dryer.  Wouldn't be as big of an issue but I don't have a soldering gun.
Red wire is not attached.

Attachments

• 20151208_131520.jpg
    20151208_131520.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 401
I had a problem last weekend using my dryer too. The cord just broke off right at the base of the adapter.

Fortunately Steve is coming to the rescue and sending me a new cord.

Attachments

• 20151206_184018.jpg
    20151206_184018.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 353
NDKoze said:
I had a problem last weekend using my dryer too. The cord just broke off right at the base of the adapter.

Fortunately Steve is coming to the rescue and sending me a new cord.
I'll have to double check mine but is the cord hard, or brittle?,

I'm really not sure what happened to it.

No, the cord isn't hard or brittle and I never stored it outside where it would freeze.

I did wrap the cord around the power pack during storage and that may have been a contributing factor. I won't be wrapping the cord around the power pack on the new cord.

Yeah, lesson learned, which I have. All of my corded tools don't get wrapped, I kind of loop them and let them be. At least Steve is hooking you up.. 8) 

I was going to be willing to pay for the new cord considering my purchase was from last September. But, once again, Steve sets his customer service apart from the rest of the pack.

It wasn't pretty but got it soldered back together.  Wire was barely long enough so had to add a new wire to the old.  Hope it works for a while now LOL

SuperDave said:
Nick, it was a test to see what your Macgyver skills are.  Bailing wire and duct tape!! LOL!

Don't forget the JB Weld, Dave...no emergency tool kit is complete without these 3 items! ;) LOL!

Threw the jerky dryer on 2 hour after I started it with smoke.  So far so good.
Been at 115* since 10 am.  Rotating racks along the way. 

Attachments

• 20151210_095043.jpg
    20151210_095043.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 20151210_110623.jpg
    20151210_110623.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 364
If you've increased the temp, that will help.  You want to test it as you go.  Hard to say "how long;" all depends on the meat.  You want it dry, but not hard.  If the moisture is gone, and it still bends a bit without breaking, you're good!  It will stiffen a little more as it cools.

Pork Belly said:
Leave it at 115, your drying it. At 140 your cooking it then drying it. huge difference in taste and texture.

Disagree.  When I do jerky at 140, it comes out translucent - you can see light through the slices.  At 160, you cannot (it is cooked).  I personally don't think 115 is a food-safe temp for meat, and would never smoke beef at that temp.

I tried lower temps like 100-115 with a pretty full smoker and found that even with wood chips, I had a hard time keeping the smoke going for very long at that temp.

IMO 150-160 is the range where the meat starts to cook and should never go above. So, I usually smoke at 140-145. With an Auber you could maybe get away with 150, but I would still stay in the 140-145 range.

Maybe it is because I smoke such large batches, but it would take multiple days for my jerky to get done at 115. Maybe for smaller batches (less meat mass) you can get by with 115, but I find it just too slow considering I have not had any problems with the higher temp that I use.

Brian, based on my memory of your previous posts, I seem to remember that your smoker tends to run a little bit hotter than your dial. Mine actually runs a bit lower than my dial. So, I'm wondering if your actual smoking temps are closer to what Tony and I are suggesting? Or are you measuring 115 with a thermometer?

Since the meat is cured, I'm not sure that there would be any problems with food safety.

It would be a good test to try it at both temps with exactly the same process and meat to see if there is any discernible difference.

Back