Ideal "spent" wood

So in theory you would want to end up with ash.  Though in the real world, as long as you are happy with the outcome of the meat, ending up with the wood chunk as coal is just as good.

I often end up with some ash and some black coal in the same smoke. Oh....my #1 is soooo.... perfect ;D but seriously, if the food's good, that's what matters. You can take note of wood results as you go. Just remember, when you open the door and pull your meat, you introduce a lot of oxygen. And depending on whether you close the door, or leave it open, etc., when you check it later, it may or may not be ash. You could check it right when you pull the meat out, but handling a hot smoke box can be dangerous. And unless you feel you are REALLY having problems with the smoke flavor, I would not worry about it.

SconnieQ said:
I often end up with some ash and some black coal in the same smoke. Oh....my #1 is soooo.... perfect ;D but seriously, if the food's good, that's what matters. You can take note of wood results as you go. Just remember, when you open the door and pull your meat, you introduce a lot of oxygen. And depending on whether you close the door, or leave it open, etc., when you check it later, it may or may not be ash. You could check it right when you pull the meat out, but handling a hot smoke box can be dangerous. And unless you feel you are REALLY having problems with the smoke flavor, I would not worry about it.

On the money... :D

+1
Been worrying a tad too much about this.  While sometimes I have complete ash, more often I have a charcoal looking briquet with ashy edges but EITHER WAY, I'm enjoying the q  :)

Back