How big of a brisket?

You guys and girls are awsome,  thanks so much for all the help. I'm not as nervous  now about  screwing  up the meal. I have the confidence  now that I can do this thanks to all of you ;)

Once you get a have a couple brisket successes under your belt, you will know what "squishy" is. For this one, go by temp, and take note of how it feels when you take it out. I always go by temp, but I know I've got a really good one if it is floppy.

You can't go wrong with a 17+ lb Prime brisky, Laura!  I think the last one I did, that big, was right around 21 hours.  Should be great!

I did a practice run with a flat.  First brisket I had ever cooked (first brisket I had ever purchased!). Stoked with confidence, I did a full packer for Easter. Perfect. It was a lot simpler than I had thought. 

If Pork Belly's, "until squishy" is vague

???
They physical qualities of brisket are:
1 Raw, cold wet and firm. About 35 deg.
2 Not done, tight and firm like an over inflated basketball, typically in the 170-195 range but it can go higher.
3. Squishy, Sags from both ends when held in the middle, you know you could shove a stiff finger through the middle. The meat is firm yet very yielding, shiny greasy bark, typically 195-205.
4. Too damn done, hard brittle edges, dry exterior very firm.

I hope this helps.

Hehe...I thought Brian might clarify the whole "squishy" explanation.  Makes perfect sense, to me, as BBQ is not an exact science, and so much of its goodness depends on our intuition and "feel!"  Nice job, Belly...nice job!  If anyone here knows what a perfect brisket "feels" like, my money's on Brian! ;)

Dave's got a good point, about the "toothpick test," for those that haven't done a few, but following Brian's explanations of the feel, should definitely help.  That's what you're going for!  I have a "target" temp (usually 192-195), but I still feel if it's done or not.

Ok I've got it trimmed and in the briner now. I'm hoping  and praying  I didn't over trim it. I got 3 pounds  of fat off. Basically  all I cut of was the thick  hard fat. There was a ton of it.... here is the pics I hope I did this right? ???

Attachments

• 20160701_183833.jpg
    20160701_183833.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 348
Pork Belly said:
That's a bit bigger pile of scraps than I usually have but you should be fine.
Do you really think it will be ok or are you just calming my fears? Lol.. it had sooo much hard fat and I was afraid it wouldn't cook down.

Should be fine, how hot are you cooking? I used to do 235 but have been going 210 for the past 6 months. I like the gentle heat of 210 better.

225 is what I use. Some people on the forum will go 235, but I would never do that for a brisket. 210 sounds very interesting to me, and I think I will try that on my next brisket, but since this is your first brisket, I would go 225. The timing/schedule that was recommended for the cook was based on that. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing worse than a brisket that has not had enough time to cook and rest. Error on the side of being done early, with a longer rest. Since you trimmed 3 pounds of fat, you might want to recalculate your time, and start at 5pm the day before.

SconnieQ said:
225 is what I use. Some people on the forum will go 235, but I would never do that for a brisket. 210 sounds very interesting to me, and I think I will try that on my next brisket, but since this is your first brisket, I would go 225. The timing/schedule that was recommended for the cook was based on that. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing worse than a brisket that has not had enough time to cook and rest. Error on the side of being done early, with a longer rest. Since you trimmed 3 pounds of fat, you might want to recalculate your time, and start at 5pm the day before.
[/quote
I took all of your advice  and the brisket  is going  in at 5 this evening 😀

I have one more question,  I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends. When I pull the brisket off the smoker and cut off the point, is the juice go into to tune out and make the flat dry while resting  in the cooler? Or will it be ok?

Greenenvey said:
I have one more question,  I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends. When I pull the brisket off the smoker and cut off the point, is the juice go into to tune out and make the flat dry while resting  in the cooler? Or will it be ok?
I don't make burnt ends, so I can't help you. I keep it whole, and slice the whole thing, point and all. I like the fatty point slices. If I have any point slices leftover, I cook the slices on a rack in the oven to make "brisket bacon". Makes great BLTs.

Greenenvey said:
Pork Belly said:
I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends.

That makes me sad, to me the point is the best eating, sliced.
Really well I'll change my plans and slice it :) I'm very open to suggestions. And Kari the brisket bacon sounds awsome

If you're making burnt ends, rest the brisket whole, and don't separate the point until afterwards.  Brian is the brisket king, for sure, but they don't do burnt ends up there, like we do in the South!  I totally disagree that the point is better sliced!  Cubed, coated in honey, rub, BBQ sauce, and re-smoked four a couple of hours makes the BEST "meat candy" you'll ever sink your teeth into!  Those that have never had this think that "burnt ends" means eating the parts that get tough and overcooked.  They don't know what they're missing! ;)

Back