Hi from near Chicago

pugs

Finally stopping in to say hi.  Got my Model 3 last cyber monday.  Tried ribs a few times before weather got bad here.  Was using a recipe more suited to non electric smokers(2-2-1).  Need to find some recipes here that dont involve opening as much.  Just stocked up on some wood from Fruitawood.  Was going to smoke last weekend but it was Easter and someone else was cooking....

So what should I smoke tomorrow?  Was maybe gonna try some whole chickens.  Any good recipes for chicken breasts?  May just try another rib outing since I probably wont have time to brine the whole chickens.

My name is Marty but I go by pugs on any message board I am on and lots of friends call me pugs too.

Welcome pugs/Marty from SE Arizona. If you prowl around here you will see that a lot of folks do ribs without foiling.  Some do foil and I reckon it is a matter of preference.  I do baby back ribs at 225 degrees and don't open until I hit the 4 1/2 to 5 hour mark, give or take.  It depends upon how meaty they are. I have ribs done with good pull back from the bone in as little as 4 hours and some have exceeded 5 hours.  And I do not foil; tried it and decided not worth the effort.  Enjoy the 3!

I don't foil my ribs either. They turn out moist and delicious without the extra effort. Chickens are a great go-to when I don't plan ahead. It's something I can brine and smoke in the same day. I brine chicken 1 hour per pound. I smoke all winter long up here in Wisconsin by the way! Nothing reminds you of summer more than awesome BBQ :)

Welcome from Delaware, Marty!  If you are doing skinless chicken breasts, then I suggest wrapping them in bacon to help retain moisture while smoking. 

Tried ribs a few times before weather got bad here.

Welcome to the forum, I also have a #3 and live directly across the lake from Chicago.
Please understand the weather is never too bad for a #3. It will smoke just as good in -10 as it will when sunny and 75.

Welcome from ND Marty!

I've smoked in -20F with zero problems.

I'm also in the camp of no foilers. I use the no-peak method with awesome results.

Welcome from Texas Pugs! No foil here either. I've pretty much started to do baby backs because of the shorter cook time factor and there seems to be quite a bit of meat per bone as opposed to spares. Enjoy your new smoker!

Back