Hey Yall from Virginia

Sammiches

Been lurkin and learning for a while now. What a great forum! Just ordered a #2 and a box of wood from Smokinlicious as highly recommended by you fine folks. Cannot wait for the boxes to show up. I decided to hold off on an Auber until I get the hang of smoking food stuffs, but am in need of a thermometer. Thinking about a Maverick 733. Should I get that one to start, or is that a bit advanced for the newb?
Thanks so much.

Welcome aboard!  If you've been watching us for awhile, you probably know we love to see a first name and town in the signature line - we're pretty much like family, around here!

The Maverick is a great choice - not hard to use, at all.  It has a box temp probe, but I never even use mine.  The standard controller on the #2 will have temperature swings of up to 20°, but will average-out to your set temp.  If you monitor box temps, it will drive you nuts.  Just use the meat probe, and trust that your smoker is doing its job.

Let us know how we can help, and I look forward to your adventures! 8)

Welcome from Texas T.J.!  The maverick is a great choice. I use one and get excellent results.  I look forward to reading your posts and seeing pics of  smokey goodness from your #2 .

Welcome aboard from N'Eastern MA!
+1 on the Maverick. You might want to seal where the cable goes into the probe. Prevents moisture from getting in and creating problems.

Welcome from northern Oklahoma.

If you've been lurking a while then you already know how awesome this forum is.  Lot's of good, helpful folks sharing a lot of great information.

Welcome from Delaware, TJ.  You will love the #2...I know I do!  I also use a Maverick, and it is super easy to monitor the IT of meat.  I just use it to watch the meat temp, but it has other features like setting your final temp and it will alarm to let you know that the desired IT has been reached.  I haven't used those features; I just keep an eye on it as the final temp approaches.  Enjoy!

Thank you all for the warm reception!
Just picked up my Model 2 and started the seasoning. Put the wireless thermo in there just to see what the box is doing. I know that I should expect erratic temps since there is no load in there. My dog is going to be bummed when I open the box later and nothing comes out.
I might start some ribs tonight if I have some time. So stoked!

Attachments

• Smokin-it.jpg
    Smokin-it.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 273
Congrats, TJ!  Yeah, that empty box will shake some folks!  It's usually all over the page!  Sure smells good, huh? 8)

Back