Hello from San Francisco

Tom

Hi folks,

Late night first post after spending some time reading the forum, realizing this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be ordering a 2D or 3D in a few hours when SI opens up!

I'm an apartment bound BBQ enthusiast who's gotten tired of watching all my charcoal and gas based tools collect dust for too long ( and even given them away to family).  I love my WSM and assorted grills but the bean-counters and lawyers have long ago banned anything other than an electric based cooker. Well, I'm tired of not having good homemade Q and I'm also plunging in head first into both charcuterie and I'll dabble in cheesemaking and I want a small, convenient electrical smoker with some flexibility. I'll try to line up all the accessories I know I'll need in the first order to save on shipping.

Looking forward to jumping back in and sharing!

Welcome from Delaware, Tom!  You have found the right place...lots of good advice and recipes to try out on the forum.  Enjoy!

Welcome from Texas Tom! You landed in the right spot. Lots of good info here along with friendly folks to help when needed. Enjoy!

Well, they say "cry once". Order placed.

It was hard for me to decide between the 2D and the 3D, since I'm not cooking for a family yet. But I really didn't want $100 to separate me from regret down the line if I chose the 2D. I like the idea of something that I can grow into in the future.

I can't swing the $912 order + another $200 for the cart for it, I'll have to look at my options over the next few weeks. I have a tall stainless steel prep table out on my apartment balcony, but I fear it'll be way too tall, even for me, standing at 6'3". But I certainly don't want to be squatting down forever either.

I think the best thing besides the good food, will be me actually utilizing my balcony again, rather than using it for storage for a ton of gear that never gets used.

Congrats, Tom!  The 3D is a great choice, and you won't regret the size decision one bit.  Like we say, you can always cook less in a bigger smoker, but never more in a smaller one!

There are other cart options out there; just be aware of the height.  Unlike the standard models (with the dial), you'll need to keep the 3D a little lower so you can read the display and work the controls.  You'll see, when you get it, that even sitting on the floor (on its wheels), it's not that bad.  I don't have a cart for mine yet, and don't have a hard time with it, even being a little old and "big boned" (if you know what I mean)!

I would say get the 3D and look for local cart alternatives. You should be able to find something a lot cheaper locally. Some have even use tool cabinets. If you do a search for "alternative carts" or just "cart", you'll find a couple of good threads with some DIY examples.

You won't regret splurging for the #3.

Hi Tom, welcome from D/FW Texas!  My wife and I just got back from SF on Sunday!  Weather was great and last sunset was viewed from Twin Peaks, at the top, great views of SF!

Carl

Thanks again everyone. ;D

I just got home from my local meat market, with 10 pounds of pork belly, 10 pounds of pork shoulder, and since I can't recall ever trying it, I bought a few ounces of both Serrano ham and Jamon Iberica (sliced razor thin) for dinner tonight.

I need to get the bacon going in the cure tonight, the smokers first run will have to be some pork shoulder.

I've built some metro racks with some nice stained birch panels for the individual shelves for my coffee bar. I've been eyeing them all night, suspecting that one would fit out on my balcony (and help me organize/store things better).

The idea of having the shelf height exactly where I want it is very appealing, plus the shelving space for setting things out will be nice. The main thing I need to be 100% sure on before I pull the trigger on another metro rack is the space between the feet on the 3D, so if anyone who has a 3 who is willing to measure the distance between the front and back wheels, I'd appreciate it. I may forgo the wheels entirely. My metro rack has 24.5 inch deep shelves and I know the 3D is something close to 28 inches deep from the exterior dimensions. I think with an 3 inch gap from the balcony's wall, the front of the 3D should fit real nice, maybe if it's centered up just right, it might not even hang over by much.

And oops, I forgot to add, yeah there's probably no chance I'll be able to use the stainless work table I have out there. It's gotta be at least 48" tall. I wouldn't be able to see the controls.

Welcome from Wisconsin Tom! I too used a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the WSM. Just an all-day production, and I never used it in the winter here is Wisconsin. I wanted something that was easy to use all winter, and didn't need all of that tending. Since I've had the SI, I have not used my WSM. I feel kinda bad. I keep thinking I might someday, but I don't know...I think the Q from the SI is better than the WSM due to the temp control, moisture retention, and cleaner smoke flavor. I was never able to make a brisket as good on the WSM as what I've consistently gotten from the SI. With your previous BBQ experience, you are going to really appreciate your new SI! You just have to forget about all of your old habits of spritzing, mopping, tending, opening the door and looking, etc. None of those are needed. (I was happy to let those go.) Spend your time on the prep, and let the SI do it's thing.

SconnieQ said:
Welcome from Wisconsin Tom! I too used a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the WSM. Just an all-day production, and I never used it in the winter here is Wisconsin. I wanted something that was easy to use all winter, and didn't need all of that tending. Since I've had the SI, I have not used my WSM. I feel kinda bad. I keep thinking I might someday, but I don't know...I think the Q from the SI is better than the WSM due to the temp control, moisture retention, and cleaner smoke flavor. I was never able to make a brisket as good on the WSM as what I've consistently gotten from the SI. With your previous BBQ experience, you are going to really appreciate your new SI! You just have to forget about all of your old habits of spritzing, mopping, tending, opening the door and looking, etc. None of those are needed. (I was happy to let those go.) Spend your time on the prep, and let the SI do it's thing.

That's really nice to hear. I was wondering how the transition would be, in terms of what the SI can do in comparison to the WSM. My main concern was wondering how the smoke flavor would taste, in terms of airflow thru the box.

I gotta get my kitchen cleaned up and prep for some curing tonight!

Tom said:
SconnieQ said:

That's really nice to hear. I was wondering how the transition would be, in terms of what the SI can do in comparison to the WSM. My main concern was wondering how the smoke flavor would taste, in terms of airflow thru the box.

I gotta get my kitchen cleaned up and prep for some curing tonight!

The very first thing I noticed was that I could really taste the unique flavor nuances of the wood I used (cherry, hickory, maple), where with the WSM, it was more of a "generic" smoke taste. Probably because with the WSM you are using a charcoal fuel source in addition to your wood. You might want to also consider eventually ordering some wood from smokinlicious.com. I never thought I would buy fancy wood, and I used my Weber wood I already had in the beginning, which was fine. But eventually ordered a variety box of hickory, cherry and maple, double filet. It made a much bigger difference than I thought. These smokers use such a small amount of wood, that a small order will last you a long time.

I'm definitely going to bookmark smokinlicious, I've seen them mentioned so many times. I've got tons of hardwoods/fruitwoods well stored and being 100 yards from the ocean, as long as they're not showing any mold or mildew, I'm sure they're the right moisture level.

Tom:

Several of us have the 3D, all the SI smokers are awesome!  You mentioned about getting a cart for your 3D, here's what I put together on a Sears Craftsman rolling tool chest, cost was $99 and raises the 3D up to a nice level when the wheels are on the tool chest, here's a few pictures, I also added a folding tray which helps when loading and unloading food and out of the way when you fold it down, just an idea:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4681.msg42799#msg42799

Carl

kz0m said:
Tom:

Several of us have the 3D, all the SI smokers are awesome!  You mentioned about getting a cart for your 3D, here's what I put together on a Sears Craftsman rolling tool chest, cost was $99 and raises the 3D up to a nice level when the wheels are on the tool chest, here's a few pictures, I also added a folding tray which helps when loading and unloading food and out of the way when you fold it down, just an idea:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4681.msg42799#msg42799

Carl

Thanks Carl!

I actually saw that earlier this morning. I would have jumped on that if the drawers opened the same orientation as the smoker door. I've got a very tiny balcony and will have to play some Feng Shui magic to get everything well placed. Hell, I don't even have an outlet out there :(

I'm glad Kari shared that, about the wood smoke taste, Tom.  Having been from a "traditional" BBQ background, you will immediately see how much wood smoke flavor can be considered, in your cook, like any other spice.  It's amazing when you can taste the actual flavor of each woods' smoke, and not be influenced by the heat that produced it!

Looking forward to some great Cali Q from you!  I'm originally from Fullerton, SOCAL.  Love Santa Maria BBQ.  I recently did some Santa Maria tri-tips and pinquinto beans.  Check them out, and let me know what you think.  Ordered the beans from Lompoc Bean Co. (can't find them in AR), and I think I hit the seasoning about right, smoked with red oak (of course).

Santa Maria BBQ Night

DivotMaker said:
I'm glad Kari shared that, about the wood smoke taste, Tom.  Having been from a "traditional" BBQ background, you will immediately see how much wood smoke flavor can be considered, in your cook, like any other spice.  It's amazing when you can taste the actual flavor of each woods' smoke, and not be influenced by the heat that produced it!

Looking forward to some great Cali Q from you!  I'm originally from Fullerton, SOCAL.  Love Santa Maria BBQ.  I recently did some Santa Maria tri-tips and pinquinto beans.  Check them out, and let me know what you think.  Ordered the beans from Lompoc Bean Co. (can't find them in AR), and I think I hit the seasoning about right, smoked with red oak (of course).

Santa Maria BBQ Night

Great looking cook! I'll have to give it a go myself! I usually get my Pinquinto beans from Rancho Gordo, they're about the best in the market, but maybe a bit more costly. I learned a good lesson about how important bean freshness truly is, cooking a batch from newly bought beans then a week later, making the same recipe from the same beans that were about 6 months old. Major difference in texture and taste! I've for a long time kept my Pinquinto bean recipe very simple and traditional, so the true flavor of the bean stays front stage, but I'll probably be giving your recipe a try soon as well.

They've got so many options, it's mind boggling. I think you can get a decent price delivered if it's over a set amount like $50 or something.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans

As far as that Tri-Tip, it'll have me looking to see if I still have some red oak on hand!

I grew up in Lancaster and Valencia in SoCal, so howdy neighbor :)

Thanks for the bean link, Tom; I'll check them out (about time to order some more).  The Lompoc beans were fresh, and had that good firm exterior, with the buttery interior.  Pinquitos are about my favorite bean!

Back