Hello from Michigan

Thanks Tony, I will give it a try with the hickory.  I did order some peach from Fruitawood.  Will mix a little of that in if it arrives before I get my first smoke underway. Can't thank you, Gregg and Steve enough.  Appreciate all of you getting me pointed in the right direction. :)

Cool!  Believe me, it's like Christmas! ;D  When you season it, don't foil anything.  Just throw 3 good-size hickory dowels in, close the door and set it to 250.  4 hours later, you're good to go!  The smell inside will change from machine oil to good wood smoke!

Great, I appreciate all the guidance.  I'm rounding up my ingredients for the first smoke.  Found one of the Tyson butts you mentioned.  8 1/2 lbs.  When you get the butts at Sam's do you smoke all ~16 lbs at once or freeze one and smoke the other?

I usually smoke both in the 2-pack, and freeze the pulled pork from the second one when it's done.  I freeze it in FoodSaver bags, so when it's reheated, it's just like the day it came out of the smoker!

The Eagle has Landed. ;) 

Met Steve this morning and picked up the #3 and the rest of my order.  Enjoyed talkinig with him and hearing his business philosophy which matches up with what I've been reading here:  A quality product, reasonable price and great customer service.  I'm a believer! 

Then he threw more things in my "cart" than I ordered and he said that was to make the drive worth it. WOW.  Got the seasoning smoke underway.  As it sits in my driveway I'm admiring it like a new car.  Oh and I did tell him you said Hi Tony.  He mentioned how appreciative he is of you and all customers and forum participants.

Now I've got to get some brine prepped for the boston butt.

Completed the first smoke in my new #3.  I think it the brined boston butt turned out pretty well.  Cooked completely and was still moist. My wife liked it too.  Learned a lot on how to make the next smoke even better.  Got slowed down a bit due to some intense weather that was moving through the past 2-3 days. Was not sure how weather sensitive the Auber was so I set it in the garage and snugged the smoker up close enough to allow Auber leads to run under the garage door into the smoker.  Thanks for all the guidance everyone.  Next up Spare Ribs that I got from Costco.

Attachments

• May 12, 2014 Boston Butt1 smfile.jpg
    May 12, 2014 Boston Butt1 smfile.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 247
  • May 12, 2014 Boston Butt smfile.jpg
    May 12, 2014 Boston Butt smfile.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 229
Back