Hello from Kansas City

kcsailor

Finally getting a chance to register and take part in the forum.  Have had my model 2 since March of 2015.  Have smoked several delicious meals on it.  Only problem (all be it minor) is my briskets don't seem to come out quite as tender as I like.  First one was just a small flat, but did about a 5 Lb one last time.  Taste was fine, but was a bit tough.  Cooked it at about 230 for 8 hours.  Would welcome any ideas.  Nice to be on the board. :)

From one vet to another welcome from SE Arizona. You may want to check the beef section or use the search bar for brining. I have only done two brisket a , a flat and a full. Both came out great with no brining. But I did inject broth into the full packer. I think they were choice but may have been prime from Costco. And thanks for your service.

Thanks for the replies.  Yes the temp when I pulled it was 185 according to my temp probe.  I guess I should have left it on longer, but was afraid it would dry out.  Appreciate the help.

Welcome Sailor!  It'd be nice to see a first name in your signature line, unless you just want us to call you Sailor. 

Brisket flats are one of the hardest things to smoke.  They are lean, so usually take a little "help" to get them to come out moist and tender.  Tell us a little about your prep...rub, did you inject?, did you brine?  How did you prepare the meat.  That will help a lot, as far as making recommendations.

Welcome from Delaware, and thank you your service!  When I do briskets, I let them go to 190-195IT and they turn out nice and juicy.  You might want to give them a bit more time on the smoker.  Cheers

Thanks for all the welcome's.  As far as my brisket, I did inject both with a solution I got from a local BBQ supply, and I applied rub to them and put in the fridge overnight.  I see from some other posts that I need to leave them in until about 195 degrees.  We don't often entertain where I can cook a large brisket, so 5-6 lbs is about it for us.  Would appreciate any advise on the smaller cuts to make them come out like the 3-400 great BBQ places we have here in KC.  Thanks for the help. ;)

Joe, the larger briskets smoke so much better, and they freeze great!  If you don't have a vacuum sealer, I really recommend one; one of the best investments you can make for our hobby!  I just smoke for me, my wife and son, but always make way more than we can eat at one sitting.  Freeze it, reheat and enjoy BBQ all year!  Reheated properly, it's like the day you smoked it.

Very much +1 on Tony's comments. Smoke relatively large pieces of meat (briskets, Boston butts etc) and vacuum pack and freeze the excess. Very easy meals with zero effort and great results. I find that ribs and butts in particular are at least as good frozen as fresh-maybe better. If you are into this hobby you really need to get a good vacuum machine.

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I'll look into a vacuum sealer.  When you say larger cuts, just how large should I be looking at.  My model 2 will only hold so much on 1 grate and I assume I shouldn't cut it into.

I have a #2 and can fit an 11lb or so brisket on one rack, although it is snug.  However, as the brisket smokes it will shrink down.

Larger in general means 7-8+ pounds. Roasts/briskets etc smaller than that have some quirks. If doing chickens, I usually smoke two.

Welcome from Colorado Sailor! You will find that brining is the way to go on brisket. Before I got a vacuum sealer, I just put the meat in zip lock bags and froze them. Won't stay there long or you get the dreaded burn but for short term it works fine. May be sacrilege but it works.

Back