Hello from Chicagoland

Hex23

Getting pretty excited as it should be mere minutes from resting my 8.5 lb pork shoulder.  It's been in for about 18 hours now and it's about 193 F.  Thanks for all the great info on the site.

My other hobby is brewing beer.  Seriously ... beer and smoked meat ... could there be any better combination?

I think I'm going to try a whole chicken next.  Any suggestions on a wood?

Far northern Illinois should be close enough for me to buzz down there and pick up a keg. I like IPAs, and hoppy beers. ;)

Another brewer!  I just may have to add a board for brewing!  Welcome, Aaron.  I agree with Kari - can't get much better than cherry on poultry!

Thanks for the warm welcome!  Well, cherry it is then.

It's funny ... On the homebrewing forum I participate in, there is a section on smoking meats.

I actually grow hops, but other than Barleywine I've never actually brewed anything higher than about 45 IBUs.  I'm somewhat of an anomaly among homebrewers.  I prefer malt focused beers.

drains said:
Welcome from Texas Aaron! Cherry is my go to for poultry also. How was the pork shoulder?

The shoulder was excellent.  I used a 16 spice rub and added some brown sugar.  I forget the origin of the rub, but it's something I used to use on ribs before I got a smoker (maybe Bobby Flay?).  The smoke took just a little over 19 hours to reach 195, but it was well worth the time.  Really nice bark, which I love!  The only thing I think could be improved is the lack of salt.  I think the rub probably has some salt, but maybe it needs more.  Or maybe I need to tryout some brining.

I'm really happy with the smoker - it was practically effortless.

Back