Hello from Alabama

Spence

Recently ordered and received my number 3.  Only done a couple of smokes but so far so good.  Like some others my temps seem a little low (highest I've seen is 226) but hopefully it won't hold me back.  An overall well built smoker.

Welcome to the club, Spence.  A few things:  did you measure temp during the seasoning process to confirm that you're unable to achieve temps above 226?  Have you calibrated your thermometer?  Are you running the smoker with only a small load when you're measuring?

Did not monitor during break in smoke but did during smoke of five racks of ribs using Maverick temp gauge.  Smoked a total of 5 hours and unit never reached over 226 at highest, mostly 190s to 205.

Hmmm, that's a decent load so you can eliminate that issue.  I've had the #3 since March and have never had an issue with being able to peak at, or slightly above, the 250 setting.

A few things to check before you call customer service:
1.  If you're using an extension cord, try it without it.
2.  Visually inspect the element and smoker box to see that they seat properly.
3.  Consider using a water pan to help stabilize temps on your next smoke.
4.  Run an empty chamber smoke and set it to 250; use wood as you normally would and measure temp every fifteen minutes through a 3-4 hour session.
5.  Calibrate your Maverick using boiling water, just to be sure.

If you're concerned I know Steve will get back to you in short order to help allay your concerns and come up with a solution if a hardware issue exists. 

I'll try the boiling water check first as that's quick and simple then, if Maverick checks out , I'll do the empty cook test suggested.  Thanks for the advice.  Oh, no extension cord was used.

Say, do most people use Pam on racks for easier cleanup?

Sounds like a plan!  I do not use PAM on the racks, but others have commented that they do.  The clean up for me has been fine just by soaking the racks for a bit and then using a brush to clean.  I have also used HD foil balled up to get as a cleaning device.

Pam is fine (it definitely wouldn't hurt) but in my experience it's not necessary; the racks clean up very easily with a bit of degreaser or even some Dawn detergent and a brush.

Regarding PAm. I don't use it, nothing has been so sticky yet that I felt the need.
I have designated 1 rack to be a workhorse. A Dirty grill if you will as I use the Bradley smoker racks for everything else. It's smaller , easier to clean , goes in the dishwasher. Unlike the rack of the #3. too big.
For ribs and brisket. no choice they have to go on the original racks....due to size.

Welcome, Spence!  Sounds like you're definitely on the right track.  Lots of good smokes ahead of you!  As for my 2-cents on the Pam issue:  I use it, and find the grills scrub clean with just a little hot water and one of those nylon scour pads.  Another spray I found that works better is Weber grill spray.  It's hard to find sometimes in my area, but it handles higher temps better than Pam.  I've also rubbed the grates with a little olive oil, too!  I'm into easy clean-up! ;D

Throw some pics up of your cooks, if you can - we love pictures!  Mmmm, mmmm!

Back