Hello All

hawgjaws

Just got my #2 here in ohio. Cant wait to try it out it is def a well built smoker. I have never smoked anything before but after readin through the forum the last week I feel like I will have some success. Hope it works good in the cold like everybody says because it's def pretty cold and snowy here in northern ohio right now. David

Welcome David! You will definitely enjoy the #2. I own one and have not regretted it at all. And it is so well insulated that the cold has no effect. Given that these are "lazy Q" systems, you can stay nice and warm inside while making great eats outside. Enjoy!

Welcome from ND David! I can testify that it performs very well in the cold. The only issue that I have ever had is the fat volcano that freezes before it can spread out in the drip tray. But as far as getting to and holding temp, I have never had a problem.

While not totally impossible, it is hard to screw things up too badly with these smokers. They are pretty fool proof. The best suggestion that I can give is to let you know that they do not require a lot of wood. for smokes less than 6 hours 2-3 ounces of wood is all you need and for 6+ hour smokes, 5-6 ounces is all you will need.

Other than that, take some time to read through the recipe threads for the cut of meat that you want to smoke and you'll get a lot of good advice. If you have questions that you aren't finding answers to, by all means let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.

Attachments

• Fat Volcano - Small.jpg
    Fat Volcano - Small.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 235
Think im gonna try ribs first. There are so many good ideas on here hard to decide. Gonna season the #2 up after work tom. That fat volcano looks pretty cool. Thanks

Welcome to Club Lazy Q, David!  You're coming in at the toughest time of the year, but don't let that stop you!  I knew you'd get a picture of Gregg's "fat volcano!"  Crazy, huh?  LoL! 

Ribs are a great first choice, but I love the bone-in Boston butt for a first smoke.  It's very forgiving, and makes the best pulled pork you'll ever have.  It also gives you a chance to stretch your new smoker's legs a bit - nice long smoke to see how she performs for you!

Lots of great times ahead of you, especially when the weather breaks a bit!  This cold is hard to handle, even here in the south!  We're at 10° now, 25 mph wind, heading to a low of 2° tonight!  Brrrr!!!! :o

Back