Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods

Hello,

I'm new here, Denver guy and recent owner of a Model 2 unit, have done a couple briskets and the Best BBQ beans on the planet thus far  (look it up, they are).

The guide is great, but my question is one of addition -- I need to do two 3.7lb whole chickens and two ~4lb racks of baby backs.
Is there a quasi-time-formula for lbs o' meat?  Do you pretty much go by 1.5 hours per lb and watch your internal temps?

I have thermometers, I *get* that, but the problem is the WIFE wants to know what time we will be eating, so need to make sure I allow enough time.
This will be my first entertaining gig with the new box, if we cannot eat until midnight, I'm getting the stink eye!

I will have about 15 lbs of food in the box [2 birds, 2 baby back slabs], so hoping for some ballpark guidance on what to plan for.

• all at same time? or ribs in first?
  • birds above or below the ribs?
  • etc.?
My guess would be ribs up top and an hour or two before the birds, but...??

Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Bill

My experience is that it always takes longer than you expect. Just tonight an 8# chicken took way longer than forecast and made dinner late (although delicious). You should figure imo on the birds taking four hours and the ribs taking about six hours. My guess, and it is only that since I do not normally mix smokes, , is that you are about right- ribs in first, on top but two hours, not one, before the birds. You can always rest meat, actually for quite extended periods, if you follow the guidance on this forum. Hurrying things up tends to create disastrous results in my experience

Bill,
I would not recommend staggering the meat unless you are using something different for a smoke source.  The smoke period for these smokers is very short and wrestling with a hot chip box is not a smart thing to do.  For a mixed smoke, I would recommend starting everything together and pulling and wrapping the meat that is done first.  In your case, the chickens will stay hot and moist in a cooler with the towels.

SuperDave said:
Bill,
I would not recommend staggering the meat unless you are using something different for a smoke source.  The smoke period for these smokers is very short and wrestling with a hot chip box is not a smart thing to do.  For a mixed smoke, I would recommend starting everything together and pulling and wrapping the meat that is done first.  In your case, the chickens will stay hot and moist in a cooler with the towels.

Thanks Limey and Dave, that was what I was overlooking clearly, better to start/smoke together, then let the ribs go longer as needed rather than introduce birds part way as you said. 
So obvious Dave, now that you said (wrote) it!
Thanks!

Just saw some of the initial posts requesting a non pdf version.

I did a quick convert when I first saw this to a google doc spreadsheet, so I could make my own notes and changes to it based on my smokes.  I can access it from all my tablets and phones to do edits.  Here is the original version with no changes if anyone wants to do the same.  I like this way better because I can give access to other google accounts to make edits if I wish. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zC7m5RJ-bUp-lkPeRIJUh-MEGxxLe0XCYimWrbXz01Y/edit?usp=sharing

Trip said:
Just saw some of the initial posts requesting a non pdf version.

I did a quick convert when I first saw this to a google doc spreadsheet, so I could make my own notes and changes to it based on my smokes.  I can access it from all my tablets and phones to do edits.  Here is the original version with no changes if anyone wants to do the same.  I like this way better because I can give access to other google accounts to make edits if I wish. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zC7m5RJ-bUp-lkPeRIJUh-MEGxxLe0XCYimWrbXz01Y/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks Trip!

Greg

Hi all. This guide is amazing and very helpful. Many thanks for putting it together.

I have a question regarding bacon. The guide refers to "venison bacon". What about regular, pig bacon? There's no info about that.

TIA!

Sum1 said:
Hi all. This guide is amazing and very helpful. Many thanks for putting it together.

I have a question regarding bacon. The guide refers to "venison bacon". What about regular, pig bacon? There's no info about that.

TIA!

I think getting into belly bacon is probably too advanced for a simple guide like this.  The process is really more complicated than just a simple starter, like for ribs and such.  Your best bet, for bacon, is to browse/search the Bacon section and find the best posts and repeat them.

I'm new to the SI smoker so I found the document very helpful.  One question I have is does the amount of meat matter for the amount of wood?  For example if I smoke 8 racks of ribs instead of  2 racks should I add a little more wood?

No, the amount of meat would not change how much wood you would use. For 8 racks of ribs, I would still stick with 2.5-3.0 ounces.

Getting ready to smoke a 9lb Boston Butt for Thanksgiving in a SI #3. With the outside temps getting down to around 32 degrees at night how much will that affect the overall time ? Should I plan on a longer cook time ? It's always been about 16 to 18 hours at 235 degrees but it's always been during the summer months. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

The ambient temperature shouldn't really affect your cooking time that much other than maybe an extra 10-15 minutes to get up to temp. Once up to temp, the SI #3 will have no problem keeping the temp at your desired temp.

I usually smoke my poultry (Chicken and Turkey) at 250 though. Poultry doesn't benefit from the low and slow temps like briskets/butts do.

I have smoked in -20F with zero issues.

First, welcome RoryDean from SE Arizona. I am with Gregg on this.  The outside temp will not matter.  Obviously it will take a little more time for the box temp to get where you want it but smooth sailing (smoking?) from that point on. Be sure to check back in and let us know how it went.  Enjoy!

What they said, Rory!  Welcome to the club!  Now that you're here, how about heading over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?  Also, a first name and town, in your signature line, is nice.  I assume your first name is Rory, but it would also be nice to know who you're neighbors with!

I look forward to your picture & posts!

Hello, new here... i just want to verify "Smoker Temps" listed on this guide are ambient internal temps and not the dial/setting on the smoker itself.  I've used our model #2 a few times and notice its runs apprx 20 or so degrees hot.  If I set the temp for 235 for ribs, the unit will stay pretty around 250+  Thanks for putting this together, great help for getting started!

Don't chase the box temp, set the dial and go with that. If you do not have an Auber the temp will swing but the average is what the dial is set at.

bartjoebob said:
Hello, new here... i just want to verify "Smoker Temps" listed on this guide are ambient internal temps and not the dial/setting on the smoker itself. 

It's the dial setting...  do yourself a favor and never, ever measure your box temp ever again unless you have seriously good cause to believe there is a smoker malfunction.  :)

Beautiful guide and just what I'm needing at the start of my experience in smoking. One question: When weighing one's wood (2 oz. for example) does it matter if it's chips or chunks? Do they both (in the same 2 oz. weight) perform the same?

Back