Getting started!

Quick question about this smoke.  It's 10 till one right now and the temp is sitting at 176. It doesn't seem like it's stalling like I have read about. It seems it's creeping not super slow but not as slow as I would have imagined it too.  Should I be concerned or just go with It? 

Just go with it.  The stall is usually around 170-180, so you are probably experiencing the stall now.  When you reach your desired IT, you could also use another temp probe just to check the IT.  But, given when you started the butt, it sounds about right to me.

Derek, it sounds like you are having a great first smoke with no issues and you'll be able to eat at a reasonable hour.  Just don't get spoiled and expect them all to be this easy. Lol!

swthorpe said:
Just go with it.  The stall is usually around 170-180, so you are probably experiencing the stall now.  When you reach your desired IT, you could also use another temp probe just to check the IT.  But, given when you started the butt, it sounds about right to me.
SuperDave said:
Derek, it sounds like you are having a great first smoke with no issues and you'll be able to eat at a reasonable hour.  Just don't get spoiled and expect them all to be this easy. Lol!

Thanks guys.  It smells amazing so far. My son keeps asking when it's gonna be done. No patience!!!!!

Hit 190 and out of the smoker...  Now resting in the cooler.  What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20180113_152130.jpg
    20180113_152130.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 340
Derek, did you just pull it at 190 because that was your set temp or did you do a bone wiggle to make sure it was ready? 

SuperDave said:
Derek, did you just pull it at 190 because that was your set temp or did you do a bone wiggle to make sure it was ready?

I pulled at set temp.. didn't know about the wiggle method  :o

It turned out great!  Bone popped right out and the meat was really tender and juicy.  Everyone in the house loved it...  Had some help when I was pulling the meat

Thanks for all suggestions and help with this first smoke everybody!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1515892817624.jpg
    FB_IMG_1515892817624.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 320
Just read this entire post from beginning to end! Was almost like being there..LOL. There are some really great guys here willing to share and help. Congratulations on a successful first smoke and glad the little guy got his fingers in the pie or I should say Pork..

Back