Genius idea?

SuperDave said:
My view was that the lid of the SI makes a helluva free cold plate.

It would, if it didn't have that big hole in the middle to let the hot air through.  The cold smoke plate doesn't have any holes - total insulation.

I'd say smoking any meat would produce meat vapors along with the smoke.
Not necessarily a bad thing, or a good thing.  It just is.

To ensure a cold smoke, you could pipe the exhaust port with some metal pipe (plumbing copper) to the cold smoke box and run that pipe through a bath of ice water.
Another idea would be to run the smoke itself though a bong filter of ice water.  Would probably need a small fan for that.

I agree that you would want to connect some sort of tubing to the hole on the top, and run it a short distance, possibly through an ice water bath (or the bong idea is interesting), to a cold smoke box off to the side. But I also think this would screw up the airflow for the interior chamber. The exhausted smoke/air would be too hot directly above the hole to cold smoke there. And things would probably end up dripping onto the top of the SI. I've made cold smoked Salmon Lox in my #1 with the cold smoke plate, using the "15-20 minutes full blast, 40-45 minutes off" (no preheat) method for 4 hours, and it worked great! My smoker temp never went above 80 degrees, and I got good smoke production. I do like the idea though... utilizing smoke you already have for multi-tasking.

I know this is an old topic but I have an offset smoker and built a separate smoke box out of cedar and ran a dryer exaust tube from the offset smoker to the smoke box which was above and a couple of feet away from the offset smoker. Worked great for me. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the SI besides the fact the hole where the smoke comes out is very small.

I think that's a great idea, Chris!  We've always been focused on pumping cold smoke into the SI, instead of essentially using the SI as a smoke generator for a cold smoke box!  You could make a cold smoke box out of a big cooler, or even a dorm fridge, and hose the smoke from the SI into it.  No need to buy a smoke generator - you already own one!!

Back