First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!

No Costco here only SAMs and local grocery stores. Kroger in next town north of here, 20 miles. I'll look for the tender quick next time I go shopping.

SconnieQ said:
DivotMaker said:
Tenderquick:  Any spice isle at your favorite place to shop - common.  How much?  I literally just "dusted" the meat, and rubbed it in.  I think the instructions said something like 1 Tbsp. for every pound of meat; I probably used 4-5 Tbsp. total (if that).  I just opened the bag and sprinkled, not sure of how it would work.  I rubbed it in and sealed the whole thing in a big FoodSaver bag (they make an expandable bag that will hold a monster piece of meat like this).  I rinsed the surface well, before coating with the steak sauce and rub.  I have to tell you, I was blown away with the results of the Tenderquick!  Didn't know what to expect, and was really pleased with the appearance.  This was 8 hours in the TQ.

I'm sold on the Tender Quick method! I used in on my 14.5 lb Prime brisket this weekend. Dusted and rubbed in the Tender Quick, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap (didn't bother to vacuum seal). I probably used 5-6 tablespoons of Tender Quick, but I don't think you have to be exact because you will be rinsing it. Refrigerated for 6.5 hours, then rinsed thoroughly. Patted dry, oiled surface. Added a low sodium rub, then smoked. I did not inject or brine. The most juicy, melt-in-your-mouth and delicious brisket I have ever made, or had anywhere for that matter. I love it when simplicity (no brine or injection) triumphs. (Maybe the fact that it was Prime helped). The faux smoke ring was absolutely gorgeous, but at a good 1/4 inch, maybe a bit too big. Next time I will go 3-4 hours with the Tender Quick. I think it will look more realistic if it is slightly smaller. I like the look of the Tender Quick smoke ring better than the one achieved by brining with Prague Powder #1. The Tender Quick makes a very distinctive ring near the surface, which looks more like a real one to me, but that's subjective I imagine.

I agree, Kari!  The TQ ring looks more "genuine."  I have had plenty of Q-shack brisket that had a 1/4" ring; it all depends on the meat and technique.  Even Brian (Pork Belly) mentioned that he doesn't get rings all the time, and he smokes like 25 a day.  They vary, and none of your dinner guests will know or care!

I bet the Prime did make a difference, as far as no brine or injection.  I'll have to give this a try, next time I find one!

Back