First spare ribs in #3

elkins20 said:
Not sure as don't do the baby backs. Answer me this Tony, if the meat is all grey except for the bark. And when you bite the meat will pull away from the bone. Then would you think they are done? Just to me Kari and John was telling me they were were not done. And actually they could have stood about 15 min. for the sauce to get a little warmer,  but stomach was very hungry.

I like my ribs like you, pretty tender fall off the bone. So if your full spares were that way in 4.25 hours, then nothing wrong with that. Maybe a good lazy pig you got there. Whenever they are done to your liking, then time really is not an issue. Just seemed a lot shorter than the amount of time it usually takes my full spares to get that tender.

Easy Bill....no one is challenging whether your ribs were "done" or not!  We were just surprised at the time, which I still say is incredibly low for spares.  But, like I also said, if you're happy, we're happy!  Rock on, Brother!

Hey Kari and Tony, In my prep, I will do the mustard and rub, and leave in the fridge at least 24 hrs. Also I cook mine at 235. I have them on the highest rack in the smoker. But, I also use about 5 oz of wood along with a couple of charcoal briquettes. These last ones were St. Louis style ribs, which might make a difference in the time. But, in both my smokers have been around that time. I will have to do a full slab to make sure on the time. And really in the #1 they seem to get done quicker.

I believe my biggest challenge with this smoker will be figuring out when to start the smoke to be ready for dinner. Sounds like all meat does not cook the same. We are only talking about 1 or 2 hours difference on ribs but my next smoke will be a 11.5 lb choice brisket Thursday. After reading a lot of good information on this forum it looks like it can rest in a cooler for quite a while so I will plan on more time to finish not less. Thanks for all the helpful information guys. Wish me luck on the brisket. I will start another post under beef.

IRGoode said:
I believe my biggest challenge with this smoker will be figuring out when to start the smoke to be ready for dinner.

I work backwards, Bob.  Briskets rarely take me more than about an hour per pound, so figure 1.5 hrs to be safe.  I would plan on starting the brisket 15-18 hours before dinner.  You can definitely "hold" for several hours, double-wrapped in foil and covered in towels in the cooler.  If you plan to brine or inject, work backwards from the cook start time.  See where I'm going with this?  Planning is the key to success, and eating "on time!"

Back