First Smoke-spare ribs- No flavor from rub? HELP!

Your plan looks spot on to me!  When I do ribs, I take them out at 4.5 hours to apply some sauce and put them back in for another hour.  This step is optional; some folks go with no sauce until they are ready to eat.

Enjoy!

The time depends on whether you are smoking Baby Backs or Spare Ribs (or St. Louis cut). Spares typically take about an hour longer in my experience.

I don't think my #3 runs as hot as Brian's. I may have to do the knob adjustment suggestion to try to adjust my temps in my #3. So, I always leave both baby backs and spares in for 5 hours minimum and usually have to go to 6.0-7.0 on Spares and up to 6.0 on Baby Backs.

My #3 racks are so big that it is hard to clean stuck on stuff. So, I typically take mine out when they are done and then sauce and put them on a cookie sheet and place under my oven broiler for a few minutes to heat up and caramelize the sauce. The cookie sheets are way easier to clean up than the smoker grates.

I really prefer the mustard as I think you get a better bark than with oil. But in a pinch, oil is definitely an acceptable substitute.

Regarding resting, I typically don't bother with ribs. I don't think it is really necessary. If it were really that important, I would think that moisture would start gushing out of my ribs when I cut them without resting and it doesn't. Now for Pork Butts and Briskets it is VERY important. If you start to pull or slice a pork butt or a brisket without resting you will see all of the moisture just gush out of the meat which is not a good thing. That is my two cents on resting.

OK, cooking time for ribs varies with the cut. Thanks, guys

Susanne purchased a "pork loin back ribs" from the local supermarket. The package was labeled "8% water, salt, sodium phosphate added". I'm guessing this is not optimal.
Should I buying my Q meat from a butcher shop, not a supermaket?

I also prepared three individual ribs from a friend who raised a couple hogs (Or maybe pigs? What's the difference? I grew up in the city...)  labeled "country ribs". These are kinda chunky.

T minus four hours for first smoke!
-Tom

One mistake so far:
Forgot to put in the 'taters.
Two big russets looking lonely on the kitchen counter.
Rats.

-Tom

Good start, Oscar!  I agree that mustard makes a better bark, but oil is still fine.  As far as the time goes, it's up to how you like your ribs.  Me and my family like them moist, but fall-off-the-bone tender; that means 5+ hours in the smoker, for me.  If you like a little more "chew," start checking at 4.5 hours.  You'll learn what works for you!

Let me clarify a couple of things about your cuts of meat comments.  First, the place you bought your ribs injected them with a fluid to stabilize the weight (they actually send them through a meat tumbler to get that fluid in there).  WalMart is bad about this with their meat.  Not that it's a terrible thing, so long as you know that you have a brine injected in the meat.  If you have a Sam's Club close to you, check out their meat department.  The meat quality is fantastic, and prices are typically better than the grocery stores.  Ribs, Boston butts, briskets, and more, with no added solutions.  Oh, and the "country ribs" you mentioned are not ribs at all; they are a sliced pork shoulder roast. :D

Can't wait to see some pics!

Well, after five ours of smelling those ribs I couldn't stand it any longer.
Sooo good!
We split one rack, and vacuum bagged the rest into the freezer.

We don't shop at Walmart or Sam's. There is an independent butcher shop on my wife's commute, maybe we'll give them a try.

Next up, oysters (in another thread)!

-Tom

Back