First Ribs in my new SI#2

CUTiger80

Ok guys, I'm going to try my first ribs in my relatively new SI#2 this weekend and want to run my procedure by you to get any input that you may have.  I have scoured this forum and have come up with the following proposed process.
First of all, I have 2 approximately 3.25 lb. racks of St. Louis style ribs that are the Smithfield variety (cause my local grocery had them on sale for $2.97/lb). My family likes ribs that are falling off the bone.  I have previously used the 3-2-1 method on other smokers but after reading other posts have determined that is not necessary or desired with the SI smokers.
So, here is my plan:
Night before, remove membrane, rub down with mustard, apply rub, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Next day, set up smoker with about 3 oz. of apple chunks (I also have some cherry, hickory & mesquite) in aluminum foil boats, place water in a pan next to smoke chamber, hang remote thermometer temperature probe under top rack.
Place ribs meat side up on top 2 racks and set smoker for 235 deg.
Smoke/cook for 5 hours then check with a toothpick for meat tenderness.
When done, remove from smoker, wrap in foil & towels and let rest for 1 hour in cooler.
Remove, cut up, apply BBQ sauce and enjoy.

Any comments/suggestions/modifications would be appreciated.

I have seen several of you guys with an Auber (probably my next purchase) say that they cook at 180 deg for about 30 minutes and then move up to 235 deg for the remainder of the time.  What is the purpose of this process and should I do the same manually?

Ravel, as a SI#2 owner I must say you will love it....compact happiness in stainless steel.  ;) Overall your method looks great. I don't use the foil boat but that's a choice. I don't use it but I think the 180 deg is to allow a bit more smoke to adhere but first time around I would keep it simple, set the temp and go have a beer.  :) Provide pictures when you have them. It's always good to see good Q.

Your plan sounds pretty good.

A couple of suggestions though:

1. The Smithfield ribs tend to have a little less meat, so do not take quite as long to smoke. I would maybe check them for doneness at 4.0-4.5 hours in instead of 5.0.

2. The slow ramp up is to prevent the infamous belch (search for belch and you'll see ;)). By slowly ramping up the temp it helps eliminate the belch. Most people who have been using the foil boats say that the ramp up is not necessary with when they use the boats. Personally, I don't bother with the boats. I just run at 150 for 45 minutes and then bump up to 235 and have not seen a belch since doing this.

3. Others may disagree, but I don't think you need to rest the ribs that long. There just isn't that much juice that needs to reabsorb into the meat like you would have with a brisket or a pork butt. A short rest on a serving plate with a bit of foil over the top while you finish up the rest of your meal should be plenty.

Bob & Gregg,
Thanks for the quick response and helpful information.
I think that I will stick with the boats, set the temp at 235 and check the ribs at 4 hours or so.  I'll forego the long rest period and just cut them up and eat em.
Just curious, if I go to 3 or 4 racks at a time, does the time change significantly? 
I know that I have seen others say that I don't need more smoke.
Also, I have seen others mention putting baking potatoes in with the ribs to absorb the smoke and the drippings.  Does this change the cooking time at all and do the potatoes stay in for the entire 4 hours?

No, the extra ribs or potatoes would not change the cooking time. It might if you were smoking a dozen racks. But for 3-4 racks, it shouldn't change the time at all.

And yes, the potatoes would stay in for the entire time.

Gregg,
Thanks again.  I think that I will try a few potatoes in with the ribs to see what happens.  Potatoes are pretty cheap.

This is your first batch of ribs in your SI, so I recommend checking at 3, 4, 4.5, and 5. Yes I know that is a lot of extra work but I think it is necessary the first few times especially with skinny less meaty ribs.

Everyone has a different opinion of what "done" or "fall off the bone" means to them. I like a rib that pulls away from the bone clean when bitten but doesn't crumble to pulled pork when picked up. My ribs have been described as "fall off the bone" by some folks.

Take the time to check for your first few smokes and find the perfect time for what you like. For me 5 hours in my #3 will ruin ribs.

Your plan is spot on...go for it!  I always throw a couple baked potatoes on the top rack as well.  I agree with Gregg that the one hour rest is not necessary.  We usually pull them and slice them up within 30 minutes.  Let us know how you make out!

Solid plan, Ravel.  I agree the rest is not important with ribs, but letting them sit for 5-10 minutes makes them slice easier (firms the meat a bit).

The reference to 180 for .5 hrs was a technique developed to counter combustion of the wood (slow smolder before going to full power).  Since I've started using a little foil on the bottom of the wood, I no longer do this.  I now always foil the chunks and go right to cooking temp.

If you do potatoes with the ribs, put them on the top rack (above the ribs), and put the ribs as high as possible below.  I find it good not to have anything blocking the heat flow from the bottom.  Now, in a #3, a few potatoes below doesn't amount to much, but in a #2, they can and will block the heat.  Just my 2¢.

I also agree with checking those Smithfields in less than 5 hours.  In my experience, they're sometimes a little skinny.  I always use the 3-pack from Sam's Club, and find them to be the meatiest back ribs I've ever seen.  And no, adding a couple of racks will not have an effect on cook time.

As for the wood choice, that's totally subjective.  If you like apple smoke flavor, by all means go for it!  I personally don't, but that's just me.  I do, however, love cherry or hickory on ribs. :D

Be sure to post some pics, 'cause we love pictures around here! ;D

I do wrap my ribs for a half hour. You can go longer if necessary. It does firms up the meat a bit.
Post some pics of the finsl product.

I will add my 2cents. I personally do 2-4 potatoes in my #1 right underneath the ribs and have never had any problems with not enough heat or blocking heat to the ribs. I don't poke mine just rub them down with olive oil then coat in garlic salt and just put them on the rack below ribs. 5hrs with the ribs are perfect in my opinion. Do some experimenting and see what works best for you  :)

Pork Belly said:
This is your first batch of ribs in your SI, so I recommend checking at 3, 4, 4.5, and 5.  For me 5 hours in my #3 will ruin ribs.

I did my first cook last night with Costco Smithfield babies, 3 racks. Rubbed them and put them in 225 for 4 hours. They could have come off at 3 1/2 hours. My maverick shows my box is 10 degrees low on the top rack. I should have checked at 3 hours.

Well guys, I've been out of town all week and am just now getting around to reporting on my first ribs.
And, I didn't take any pictures. (I seem to remember to take pictures of family & pets, but not food.) 
Please give me another chance . . .
First of all, when I un-wrapped the ribs after sitting overnight in the refrigerator, there was a whole lot of juice that had come out of the meat into the plastic wrap.  Not sure if that is normal since this is the first time letting them sit overnight.
I cut each rack in half and put the more meaty half's on the top rack and the less meaty half's on the 2nd rack.
I smoked for 4-1/2 hours at 235, then checked and thought they were not tender enough (I checked the meaty ends), so put back in for another 30 minutes or so.  Went ahead and took them out since it was about dinner time.  I cut the rack into rib pairs, put them in an aluminum pan, brushed on BBQ sauce and let them sit for about 1 hour while I finished up other stuff.
The ribs had good flavor and were pretty tender, especially the less meaty end of the rack.  The more meaty end was fairly tough.  Still editable, and flavorful, but just not tender.  In fact, my 80 yr old mom had a tough time eating them with fork and knife.
Family is out of town this weekend so I am going to try again with 1 rack of ribs (after all, practice makes perfect, right??)
I think this time I am going to rub and then immediately put in the smoker since this is what I have done before on other smokers and had good results.
Will cooking them longer make the meat more tender or cooking them for less time?  Do I need to change the temperature of the smoker? (I started at 150 for 30-45 min, then turned up to 235.  Maverick said that it held right around 235 for the entire smoke.)
Any input/suggestions will be appreciated.

Hey Ravel, first thing you want to do is place the thicker cuts on the lower rack, and the thinner cuts up top.  The thick ends cook slower, so you want them closer to the heat source.

If you used a rub with salt in it, letting them sit overnight in the fridge is the way to go.  The salt acts as a dry brine, which helps the meat retain moisture.  I've rubbed plenty of ribs right before smoking, when I didn't have prep time, but the results have never been as good as the ones allowed to get happy in the fridge.

If you place a little foil on the bottom of your wood chunks, you can eliminate the 150 step, and go straight to 235. 

In regards to tenderness - you just needed to go a little longer.  You want the low-temp to do its job tenderizing the ribs, so just allow a little more time.  I usually smoke 3 racks at a time, and it always takes between 5:15 and 5:45 on time.  Now that you've seen results at 4.5 - 5 hours, you know that it won't take less than that.  Start checking your next batch at 5 hours and go from there.

The salt acts as a dry brine, which helps the meat retain moisture.

Salted meat expels moisture, not retains it. This is the first half of the reason a brine works. Meat soaking in salted water expels moisture from the cells. In a attempt to correct the moisture balance the cells then draw in moisture from the brine. This drawing in of moisture is how flavor added to the brine and excess moisture is added to the meat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKr1rByVVCI

I think a better term the "Dry Brine" would be "Dry Cure". Mustard and rub on ribs overnight in the fridge is a short dry cure, no different than my seven day Maple Syrup and Salt Cured Bacon than sits for seven days expelling moisture, adding flavor and changing texture.

Brian,
Thanks for the chemistry/biology lesson.
My rub had very little salt, so I'm not sure that was the issue. There was a lot of moisture (maybe as much as a cup) that came out of the 2 racks.
Tony,
As far as the wood goes, I have always foiled my wood chunks.  I did have the infamous belch the last time I smoked some pork chops (my smoker looked like my Dad did when he used to smoke a pipe when I was a kid). This time I soaked the chunks for 30-45 min, made foil boats & ramped up the temp.  Worked perfectly. I may not have needed to do all of that, but hey, it worked.
I'm going to smoke 1 rack today.  I didn't have time to brine/cure overnight. I'll put the meatier cut on the second rack & less meaty on top & let it go for 5-5.5 hours & test.
I'll try to remember to take & post some photos.
Thanks for all your help. You guys are the greatest!

CUTiger80 said:
This time I soaked the chunks for 30-45 min, made foil boats & ramped up the temp.

I think soaking and ramping up the temp, when using the foil method, is overkill.  Soaking, especially.  That does nothing but produce steam and take longer for the wood to smoke.  You shouldn't get combustion with foiled dry chunks, at least I never have!

And, Brian and I disagree on how brining works, but that's OK - it's OK to disagree!  Here's a couple of links on the subject:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html

The last link is why Meathead, at amazingribs.com, no longer uses salt in his Memphis Dust rub.  These links talk about the chemical reaction between the protein molecules in the meat, and the salt.  Not to start a whole new subject - just wanted to address my understanding of how the dry brine method works.

I might try 1st ribs this weekend.  I'm seeing comments about "belch" and placing foil under wood to prevent.  As a new smoker user can someone explain this technique. Is it something you folks always do, for all smoker cooking, place foil under wood pieces in wood box?  Thanks.

Back