First Pulled Pork in my #2

225 will be perfect, and I have sometimes even started out with 235F, which finishes in under 2hrs/lb.  I think with your time allowance, 225 will work great.  Keep us posted!

Pork reached 190 degrees at 10:15 this morning, about 12 hours total time. I removed sprayed with water/apple juice and tripled wrapped in foil. Then set smoker to 140 degrees and put the pork back in.

I plan to pull the pork around 3:00 pm this afternoon and then place in a cooler for 2 hours before pulling.

I will let everyone know how it turned out!.

Greg

I'm really curious how after reaching 190 IT wrapping then putting back in for an additional 5hrs at 140 followed by a 2hr rest is going to treat the meat.  Cooking early and keeping warm is really a lot more convenient than trying to time things just right for supper.  Keep us posted.

Good job, Greg ... better to be early than late!  It should rest fine in the smoker at 140...just another method of warm & hold.

Enjoy!

swthorpe said:
Good job, Greg ... better to be early than late!  It should rest fine in the smoker at 140...just another method of warm & hold.

Enjoy!

The results will be know soon :)

Worse case, there is always Pizza.
Greg

That is going to be great! I have had pork butts in the cooler for more than 6 hours and it has come out still hot and juicy ready to be pulled. I don't even think twice about it anymore. I don't keep heat on any food once it hits temp, but that's me.

Barrel99 said:
That is going to be great! I have had pork butts in the cooler for more than 6 hours and it has come out still hot and juicy ready to be pulled. I don't even think twice about it anymore. I don't keep heat on any food once it hits temp, but that's me.

Good I am glad to hear that, I hate when things don't turn out. But at least these days I only experiment with a new recipe (or in this case first time with this smoker) on the wife and I.

Never good to have guests over for a failed meal :)

Greg

Well the results are in and the almost to full to write this :)

I started the butt last night at 10:00 pm, pulled from the smoker at 10:15 am. Wrapped in foil and reduced smoker to 140 degrees. Removed from smoker at 3:00 pm. put in cooler with towels and removed at 5:15 pm. The temp of the meat was 150 degrees, it had a nice bark and it was moist and tender.

For dinner we had pulled pork sandwiches with homemade BBQ sauce and my wife's seashell salad.

Excellent dinner, thanks for everyone's input and help with this!

Greg

Sorry I was MIA yesterday for this, Greg!  That is a FANTASTIC looking butt!  Looks like you did it right, for sure.  Really nice job, Sir! ;D

Great job there Greg. You are turning into a smoking machine. I've been watching everything you do and post here on the forums and I wonder where you find all the time!  :-)

DivotMaker said:
Sorry I was MIA yesterday for this, Greg!  That is a FANTASTIC looking butt!  Looks like you did it right, for sure.  Really nice job, Sir! ;D

Hey Tony,

Without the sharing here on this forum, there is no way I could have made this in my first try on my new smoker!

Thanks Greg

Back