First Pulled Pork in my #2

gregbooras

I purchased an 8 lbs pork butt shoulder from Walmart today (they only had Smithfields which was a self baster). Not what I wanted, but I decided to give it a go, I also decided on just a short brine period since it already has some added. Put it in the briner this morning for 5 hours, removed rinsed, rubbed it down with mustard and my special rub.

Back in the refrigerator for a few hours and then in the smoker at 225 degrees with 3.5 oz Cherry and 2 oz. Hickory at 10:00 tonight.

My big concern is that it may be to salty, but I will know for sure tomorrow!

I will post photos as this progresses.

Greg

SuperDave said:
Did you modify your brines salt ratio?  If something is pre-brined, I usually cut my salt by about half.

Hey Dave,

Yes cut the salt and only left it in the brine for 5 hours.

Greg

You will be fine then.  Good wood choices, it will gave a nice color and flavor.  If you burn out on the sandwiches, I recommend trying the pulled pork spaghetti with leftovers. 

SuperDave said:
You will be fine then.  Good wood choices, it will gave a nice color and flavor.  If you burn out on the sandwiches, I recommend trying the pulled pork spaghetti with leftovers.

Dave,

I plan to take 2 lbs of the leftover pork and make Mango Burritos, the spaghetti sounds good also.

Greg

We did pulled pork tacos this past weekend.  I'm going to try and squeeze sandwiches and spaghetti out of what we have left.

Thanks for the spag idea. I do the sandwiches, tacos, even use it in fritattas but had never thought about spaghetti. Great idea and tomorrow's dinner.

Limey said:
Thanks for the spag idea. I do the sandwiches, tacos, even use it in fritattas but had never thought about spaghetti. Great idea and tomorrow's dinner.
Roger, incase you need any pictorial reference.  70-30, 60-40 or 50/50 spaghetti sauce to bbq sauce.

PPSpag3_zps89b53885.jpg

Sounds like a great prep, Greg!  I'd have approached that butt about the same way.  Let us know how it goes (as I know you will)!

You guys do some yum things with the pulled pork. For some reason every time I make it nobody wants me to mix it up with anything else. Guess they like it as is.

Barrel99 said:
You guys do some yum things with the pulled pork. For some reason every time I make it nobody wants me to mix it up with anything else. Guess they like it as is.

No harm in that, Arnie!  Pretty much the same in my house, too! ;D

It's 6:00 am here on the east coast and right now the pork is at about 169 degrees (8 hours into smoke).

It will be interesting to see how fast it rises at this point. My original plan was for it to be done around 2 pm and then pull and wrap and place in cooler.

If it rises to quickly at this point, I may need to pull around 190 degrees or so, foil wrap and then place back in at 140 like others have suggested.

Greg

Sounds like you are on schedule, Greg.  For an 8 lb butt, I would allow 2 hours per lb and it will finish.  I think you will be done sometime after noon but before 2pm.  You should be fine.

swthorpe said:
Sounds like you are on schedule, Greg.  For an 8 lb butt, I would allow 2 hours per lb and it will finish.  I think you will be done sometime after noon but before 2pm.  You should be fine.

I decided to slow down the smoke a bit, set the smoker to 200 degrees and will wrap when it hits 190 degrees.

Greg

Keep an eye on this, Greg.  I have done the same with butts and then regretted that I lowered the temp.  At 169IT or so, you are in the stall that can last for hours.  The other option is to reduce the temp when you are approaching 190F and let the pork sit a while on the smoker.

swthorpe said:
Keep an eye on this, Greg.  I have done the same with butts and then regretted that I lowered the temp.  At 169IT or so, you are in the stall that can last for hours.  The other option is to reduce the temp when you are approaching 190F and let the pork sit a while on the smoker.

Steve,

I am sitting at 174 degrees, I bumped the temp back up to 225 as suggested.

Heck on my old smoker 8 hours and it was time to put in the cooler :)

Once it hits the 190 mark I will foil and drop temp of smoker to 140.

Thanks Greg

Yes, I think you are still in the stall...but one caveat:  I have always smoked boston butts, so I don't know if a shoulder changes the equation.  Your shoulder looks flatter to me than the butts that I have done.  If you are still in the stall at 10 or 11am this morning, then I would suggest bringing the temp back up.  Let us know what happens.

swthorpe said:
Yes, I think you are still in the stall...but one caveat:  I have always smoked boston butts, so I don't know if a shoulder changes the equation.  Your shoulder looks flatter to me than the butts that I have done.  If you are still in the stall at 10 or 11am this morning, then I would suggest bringing the temp back up.  Let us know what happens.

Steve,

I decided to trust experience and bumped the temp back up to 225 degrees. Thanks for the advice, I will keep you posted.

Greg

Back