First Cook: Brisket

Thanks all for the compliments and the well wishes. The Smokin-It really came through with flying colors. Got my BP stabilized....just gotta feel better now.......pretty tuckered out........gonna smoke some spares tomorrow..will post pics  :)

Way to go, Scott!  Always a crap shoot with a select briskie, but looks like you came through fine!  I'll also give a nod to the Santa Maria BBQ you referenced about the red oak.  I've eaten Santa Maria tri-tip, and it is some of the finest Q I've ever had.  Really unique, and different from what a lot of folks in the middle of the country see as great BBQ. 

smokeasaurus said:
elkins20 said:
Hey Scott, that is a good price on the brisket. Do you have a restaurant depot around your area? They have a good quality of meats. And some of us have learned a secret in getting around their membership. If you want will show you the post on how to get daily passes to shop in them. Normally they just sell to restaurants and people that have food licenses.

We actually have one in Colton down the hill. Might take over an hour to get there..but for good meat at a good price.......I will fill the gas tank up  8)

Hey Scott, It took me a little while to find the post on the Restaurant Depot.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3591.0
This was originally posted by Greg. To start you have to join the KCBS or Kansas City BBQ Society. The dues are $35 per year, but this entitles you to get daily passes to shop there. So is a win win situation, the quality of meats is what you will find in restaurants only. As to get a membership to the restaurant depot you would need a food license. I have one about 15 min. from my house. And have learned to ride my motorcycle down there as they really have good prices on their products. Good luck hope your BP is better. My Dr. just added Terazosin HCL to my meds. as my BP was running 160/106 and now is back to a normal state 120's/upper 70's. I can live with that. What kicked mine up was the intense pain of RA on my spin and right hip. Sucks to be getting old. But, the RA is a gift from my Dad's side of the family. And +1 on Tony's request on the recipe for the pinquinto beans???

Thanks Elkins, I used to be in the KCBS....guess I will get that fired back up......My Doc put me on HTZ which is a strong diuretic.....I had body cramps for 8 hours straight. Wife put me on magnesium and upped my regular dose and I am stable...just waiting to see what the Doc says......we use a rural clinic up here on the mountain and she only works 2 days a week...............

smokeasaurus said:
My Doc put me on HTZ which is a strong diuretic.....I had body cramps for 8 hours straight. Wife put me on magnesium and upped my regular dose and I am stable...just waiting to see what the Doc says......we use a rural clinic up here on the mountain and she only works 2 days a week...............

Make sure you are near a bathroom at all times. I am on Lisinopril w/ HTZ and let me tell you that it makes you pee. I'm up about 5 times in the night.

But the BP is stable.

Guess we need to start an old fart, body falling apart thread.  ;)  I'd love to tell you about my grapefruit sized prostate.  :'(

SuperDave said:
Guess we need to start an old fart, body falling apart thread.  ;)  I'd love to tell you about my grapefruit sized prostate.  :'(

Not sure the server could handle the traffic... :o

smokeasaurus said:
DivotMaker said:
SuperDave said:

Not sure the server could handle the traffic... :o

Well, we would all be in the slow lane  ;D

+1!  Guess that takes less bandwidth, so we'd probably be OK... dial-up might work, for us OFs! 8)

Back