First brined pork loin

Barrel99

Well I figured it was about time that I tried a pork brine. So I got a 4.1 lb boneless pork loin and put it in DMs pork brine (no pink salt) for 18 hours. Washed it and dried it and put in fridge for a couple hours. I wasn't ready to cook it yet. I just wanted it out of the brine.

I rubbed it with mustard and Daves Famous rub. Here is where I used the "progressive smoke". I used a really wine fragrant oak barrel chip...smelled great...followed by a 1-3/4 apple chunk then 1-1/8 hickory chunk (see pic). Wood chunks were boated (later foil was removed to get more smoke), all on a SI chip tray.

Set temp to 235. Got smoke in 5 minutes. Could actually smell the wood as it progressed. Smoked to IT of 147, 2 hours. Then put it on a hot gas grill for less than 10 minutes and foil wrapped it. Put it in towels in cooler for about 2 hours when we were ready to eat.

Unbelievable! Tender, moist and smoked to perfection. We all agreed we never had such a fantastic pork loin. Brined pork...YUM!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 331
Some fantastic homemade creamy buttery mashed potatoes and my favorite green bean casserole. I was going to make Jeffs smoked Mac and cheese but got lazy.

Barrel99 said:
Some fantastic homemade creamy buttery mashed potatoes and my favorite green bean casserole. I was going to make Jeffs smoked Mac and cheese but got lazy.
Well, it sounds like you stayed in the comfort food category anyways.  :)  The only thing that I can think of as a great add to that menu would have been some smoked gravy.  I'm hooked on it.  :-*

Barrel99 said:
How do you smoke gravy Dave? What gravy?
When I'm smoking my primary meat, I throw a sacrificial piece of pork or beef in with the main meat.  Not hard to find a small, cheap piece for about $3 in the meat case.  While my meat is resting, I take the sacrificial piece, add a little broth and braise it off in the oven at around 350 until I get some pan juices.  Add a little roué and a splash of Kitchen Bouquet and you have some velvet, smoky gravy for those mashed taters. 

Hey that's some creative gravy making. Bet that is really good on taters. Probably can put that sacrificial piece of meat in a small foil tray to catch the renderings also while its smoking to add to the gravy.

Thanks.

DivotMakers brine recipe: I did cut way back on the black and cayenne pepper

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1608.0

Pork loins are on sale in our neighborhood this weekend for $3.99/lbs.  What do you guys/gals typically pay for your loins? 

Generally the loins are about the same as yours. But here when we do get sales on pork it is really good. Beef is another story. It's outrageous. Also, we have a large Latin population in South Florida and they use a lot of pork so there is a huge amount of it being sold at all times. Very competitive.

At the same time I got the loin, I got pork butts at $1.49/lb. I can get St. Louis ribs on sale for $1.99/lb.

Also, I pay more for chicken wings than I do for pork.

There's a sale going on at the Cash & Carry right now, boneless pork loin is 1.77/lb average pkg 9 lbs. Meanwhile, the local Safeway, QFC, & Albertson's all say their pork loin is on sale this week at 2.99/lb.

We just got a vacuum sealer and are going to be putting a freezer in the garage for this reason.

$3.99/lb?! :(

Those are some good prices for pork. I wish beef was that cheap. Hamburger starts 2.99 and up. We don't buy much beef anymore unless it's on a good sale.

AngieSmokes said:
$3.99/lb?! :(
Okay, I'm an idiot!  I went back and read the ad again and it is pork tenderloin for $3.99/lbs.  I saw the price and the picture but didn't read the fine print.  They used a loin picture for the tenderloin ad.  :P

Barrel99 said:
I wish beef was that cheap. Hamburger starts 2.99 and up. We don't buy much beef anymore unless it's on a good sale.

Oh, man, I hear you. Our local stores are advertising ground beef at 4.99! It's a scam.  :-\ We have a bunch of KitchenAid-ground chuck roast in the freezer now that was left over from our Super Bowl hamburgers. Husband labeled it "Super Bowl ground beef" with a sharpie, so now, whenever I open the freezer door to get something out for dinner, I'm saddened - for reasons wholly unrelated to the price of beef hehe.

Anyway, he was just saying today that he didn't think it had enough fat, so we're going to blend it with some other kind of cut when we can. Ribs or brisket maybe? Will have to check out Cash & Carry now that we have the vacuum sealer.

Back