External Links

Over at the other forum, we have encouraged members to give credit where credit is due.....ex: if you find a interesting BBQ related article it is ok to copy it but please mention where you found it and who wrote it. Is that OK to do over here??

Sorry, but I am a little confused.  I totally understand that this is a manufacturer's site, and so links to sites selling other smokers are not cool, and I get it that it is a copyright violation to copy someone's article from somewhere else and posting it on this site, whether attributed or not.  Where I get confused is if I find a brine recipe somewhere and want my fellow members to be able to try it.  I would think that by providing a link to the recipe, I am not violating any copyright because I have not published anyone else's work, just directed traffic to it.

Eric, Smoke got it right.  If you find that brine recipe, copy and paste the recipe, and cite where you got it, but don't link directly to the page.  We really don't need to make too big a deal out of this - lots of "leeway" here.  I have linked to some amazingribs.com articles, but they're not a SI competitor site.

Here's the bottom line, guys, so we can put this to rest:  Use common sense.  Don't link to other manufacturer forums/websites.  Don't copy someone elses work and call it your own.  Other than that, we're pretty lenient.  If I see a link that's inappropriate, trust me, I'll let you know, which may be after I remove the link.

Thanks to all of you great team members here, I don't have to find myself in the "forum cop" role very often, at all!  We catch most of the spammers before they get in, and quickly get on the few that slip through the cracks.  Just have fun, like we've been doing, and don't sweat the rules so much!

Back