Crossing fingers on the Smokin-it #2

packerbacker12

New to the forum - :)  I've read good things about the Smokin-it and am hopeful things turn out well.  I'm fairly new to smoking and purchased the Masterbuilt 30 just a couple of weeks ago but after the 3rd use began to have issues with it not getting up to the proper temp - I was hoping not to be one of numbers of MES users that would have problems but it wasn't to be.  Turns out that may have been a blessing in disguise as I am hearing very positive things about Smokin-it smokers.  Ordered today, should be here later this week and looking forward to seeing how it works out and getting some great advise from the more seasoned experts hanging out on this forum.

:)

I hope you bought that Masterbuilt at Bass Pro or Cabelas they are real good about returns. You will enjoy your SI. What size did you go with?

Pork Belly said:
I hope you bought that Masterbuilt at Bass Pro or Cabelas they are real good about returns. You will enjoy your SI. What size did you go with?

Hi PB.  I purchased at Gander Mt.  I was given a slight bit of hassle from the store manager but I did get a full refund  after stating my case.  I ordered the #2.  Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Welcome from North Dakota PB!

You made a great choice going with the Smokin-It.

There are a lot of helpful folks here that can answer any questions that you have.

A couple of tidbits to start you off with.

1. Purchase a digital scales. These smokers use very little wood and many of us weigh our wood in ounces for our smokes. The amount of smoke you like is pretty subjective, but here is a few guidelines that you can use for a starting point:

Pork Butt / Brisket - 5-6
Ribs - 2-3
Chicken - 1.5-2.0
Turkey - 2-3

2. If you do not already have one, I would recommend getting a wireless (Maverick is popular) or at a minimum a wired digital thermometer as other than ribs, most all of your smoking with be by Internal Temperature verses time.

3. Do not open the smoker during smokes. It lets that valuable moisture out.

4. Speaking of moisture, other than chicken/turkey, I always include a tin mini-loaf pan with some apple juice, beer, or water in it placed right up against the smokebox.

Well, that is a start for ya anyhow.

NDKoze said:
Welcome from North Dakota PB!

You made a great choice going with the Smokin-It.

There are a lot of helpful folks here that can answer any questions that you have.

A couple of tidbits to start you off with.

1. Purchase a digital scales. These smokers use very little wood and many of us weigh our wood in ounces for our smokes. The amount of smoke you like is pretty subjective, but here is a few guidelines that you can use for a starting point:

Pork Butt / Brisket - 5-6
Ribs - 2-3
Chicken - 1.5-2.0
Turkey - 2-3

2. If you do not already have one, I would recommend getting a wireless (Maverick is popular) or at a minimum a wired digital thermometer as other than ribs, most all of your smoking with be by Internal Temperature verses time.

3. Do not open the smoker during smokes. It lets that valuable moisture out.

4. Speaking of moisture, other than chicken/turkey, I always include a tin mini-loaf pan with some apple juice, beer, or water in it placed right up against the smokebox.

Well, that is a start for ya anyhow.

Thanks so much for the tips - appreciate it much!  Looking forward to kicking the wheels on the SI #2.

Pork Belly said:

PB, welcome to the club.  With the Smokin It, you don't have to worry about returns, once you lay your eyes on these smokers, you will not want to give it up or let it out of your sight.  These SI's are solid and dependable smokers that create perfect Q. They make novices look like pros.

I second Tony's post ... I purchased a #2 back in Jan 2013 and have been smoking pretty much every weekend (and sometimes during the week) and still going strong!  The SI smokers handle cold temps very well and even the occasional rain.  You won't be disappointed.

Welcome, Cheesehead!  Love the handle (big Packers fan myself), but would be great to get your first name and where you're from in the signature line, too!  We like to know who our new family members are!

Congrats on the #2 - you will love it!  The reliability and construction is so far above what you're used to, it's not even a fair fight.  You'll see.

Hang out here, when you can, and let us know how we can help!

Btw - Aaron looked pretty strong in the preseason game Saturday! 8)

Go Packs!

There is talk of the Bills moving up to TO.  Personally I don't think it is going to happen.  Realistically you don't need to move the team, a lot of us end up driving down to Buffalo to watch the game there. 

Back