Chuck Roast for Burnt Ends

An idea for your tomatoes. Makes a great start to a light summer lunch. Smoke about 6 medium sized tomatoes rubbed in evoo & your favorite rub. I like pecan @ 225 for 2 hours. Throw in blender (after removing skin) add a cucumber, a handful of fresh basil, a squirt (or 1 tbs) of evoo, brown mustard, honey & sirracha. Salt & pepper to taste. Chill and serve in a small glass.  Goes great with a good BLT or a tomatoe pie. Very light and extremely refreshing.

Its a cold soup. Gazpacho! I would use tomatoes, not potatos! A perfect summer food.

The potato reference was a typo, now corrected.

Endless options for added / different seasoning. Have fun with it. Cant miss with the Creole Tomatoes down here.

I tried the chuck burnt ends this weekend with some roasts from the family farm and have to say I'm not a fan.  When I got a chunk with no connective tissue, it was almost as good as brisket, but the chucks have way too much gristle with no pattern to it.  I'll be sticking to chuck=pot roast and brisket point = burnt ends, but that's just me.

mizzoufan said:
I tried the chuck burnt ends this weekend with some roasts from the family farm and have to say I'm not a fan.  When I got a chunk with no connective tissue, it was almost as good as brisket, but the chucks have way too much gristle with no pattern to it.  I'll be sticking to chuck=pot roast and brisket point = burnt ends, but that's just me.

Don't give up on it, Steven!  Just try to find better marbled chucks.  The ones I used for this had lots of good marbling, without much gristle.  I didn't have to trim a lot to make the chunks.  Points are definitely the better option, but I just find this a quick and easy substitute.

but that means I have to PAY for beef LOL.  I do sometimes but generally speaking all of my beef other than brisket (there just isn't enough, I'm gonna have to talk to the cows about increasing brisket production), all of my beef comes from the farm freezers.

Hey Steven, must be nice to get farm fresh beef... I have been looking for farmers in our area that grow herfords. But, can't find any looking to by a hind quarter.

Funny you should mention Herefords...polled for us though that's getting harder and harder now that they've combined the associations and started mixing the bloodlines every which way.

Just seems like the farmers around here are not growing them. Years ago my Mom would go out to a farm on 291 that sold halfs and hind quarters that was polled hereford. That was really good meat tender with a great flavor. But, they are long gone.

There are a few of us still around but selling as beef is not really worth it anymore.  Between the laws (can't sell by the pound, can't sell beef that's already been processed...) and the price that cattle are bringing now added to the processing fees, nobody wants it or there's just one that wants a 1/4 or 1/2.

Back