Can I fit 4 racks of baby back ribs in my Model 2?

I think 5 hours @ 250 dried them out. No need to increase the temp for added mass. 225-235 is plenty enough or you need to start checking doneness substantially earlier if useing 250.

Walt said:
I think 5 hours @ 250 dried them out. No need to increase the temp for added mass. 225-235 is plenty enough or you need to start checking doneness substantially earlier if useing 250.

+1!

Walt said:

I hear you guys but every time I put 4 or more  racks in at 235, the box temp stays low (on my SI2) and the only way I have been able to get good ribs in 4.5 - 5.5 hours is by amping up the temp to 240-250.  it just doesn't work any other way.. I must have 20+ smokes of ribs on that SI2.....something is different.. I agree if you are using a D model it probably isn't necessary.

Tom,

From what I can tell, every smoker seems a little different.  I was able to reach 260+ with 4 racks of baby backs, whereas your smoker seems to hold lower temps.  No harm, no foul.  My single rack of baby backs turned out perfect tonight at 235 for about 4.75 hours.  I made a different rub and put more on.  I'm not sure if this creates more bark but the results were spectacular.  Definitely what I was hoping for when I bought my SI2.  Now that I made a good batch of baby backs, I may try a Pork Butt next.

I remembered to take pictures this time.  Haha.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 364
Back