Buckboard Bacon - First Attempt

I put the Buckboard Bacon in around 10:00pm tonight. I got it in late because it was raining and I was trying to wait it out.

I am leaving town for a couple of days and wanted to get this smoked before I leave. So it could be a long night watching the thermometers until this gets done.

I'll wrap in plastic wrap when they are done and they'll sit in the fridge until Sunday/Monday or so before I'll be back to slice/pack.

They rested uncovered in my fridge overnight after a rinse with some cracked black pepper on top.

I used 3 ounces of Oak Whiskey Barrel Chips and 2 left over chunks of hickory that did not burn up from my last smoke.

I started the smoker at 125 for 45 minutes and then bumped it up to 175 where it has been running now for about for about 90 minutes. The thinner piece is at 104 and the fatter piece is at 77.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• WP_20140423_001.jpg
    WP_20140423_001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 490
  • WP_20140423_002.jpg
    WP_20140423_002.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 487
I finally got the Buckboard Bacon sliced and packaged tonight.

I smoked it on 4/23, then left for a business trip that I did not return until yesterday. So today was the first chance that I had to get it sliced/wrapped.

That being said, from what I have read, a healthy resting period (plastic wrapped) in the fridge prior to slicing is a good thing.

All in all, for my first attempt, I think it turned out really well. It is a bit sweeter than I typically like. So, I think I am going to cut the Sugar and the brown sugar at least in half for the next batch. We'll see how long this stuff lasts in my fridge ;)

Attachments

• BBB Sliced.jpg
    BBB Sliced.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 573
  • BBB Packaged.jpg
    BBB Packaged.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 505
That looks great, Gregg!  If you ship me a package, I'd be more than happy to provide you an unbiased analysis of the sweetness! ;)  Might take a pretty large sample, though...lol!

Thanks Tony. I have multiple offers to ship it for testing.

I am evaluating the options right now.  ;)

Back